This paleo pumpkin bread with cream cheese swirl cheesecake is a tender and spiced paleo pumpkin bread, layered with a sweet, dairy-free cream cheese filling. One of my very favorite paleo fall recipes, this paleo pumpkin bread next level! It will become one of your favorite paleo fall recipes, too.
If there’s one food I miss on a paleo diet, it’s cream cheese. Slathered onto bagels (Oh… now I miss bagels, too), spread across warm slices of paleo pumpkin bread, stirred into herb dips, whipped with butter and sugar and piped onto muffins? Cream cheese is my jam. Coincidentally… also quite like cream cheese on toast with jam, now that you mention it.
Alas, cream cheese isn’t exactly paleo-friendly, even though I do include some dairy, like yogurt and butter, in my diet. When it comes to food I make for us to enjoy at home, though, I keep conventional, non-fermented dairy out of it. That doesn’t mean my craving for the tangy, creamy stuff goes away! Especially when it comes to paleo pumpkin bread.
In autumn, all the paleo pumpkin bread and pumpkin cheesecake combos are on the horizon of potential, just staring at me from their peak of perfect pairings. I’ve already shared my recipe for paleo pumpkin chocolate chip muffins with cream cheese frosting with you, so you know the paleo pumpkin bread + cream cheese love is so real. But this? This is something else.
Paleo pumpkin bread with cream cheese swirl.
Here’s how this paleo pumpkin bread with cream cheese swirl gets its wings: A layer of creamy, tangy (but still easy!) dairy-free “cream cheese” is sandwiched between layers of a tender, spiced paleo pumpkin bread with the perfect crumb, then topped with more of the sweet paleo cream cheese. The result, this paleo pumpkin bread with cream cheese swirl, is magical and indulgent with no gluten, no grains, no refined sugar, and no dairy.
It’s a Great Pumpkin miracle, pretty sure, y’all.
The truest compliment to the recipe, though, is in how entirely too fast I consumed it. During the fall and winter, I’m surrounded by holiday treats–all paleo, of course–and they beckon to me throughout the day, seducing a quick after-meal bite or mid-afternoon snack. I try my best to avoid snacking on “paleoified” treats too often, but I had positively no fight against this paleo pumpkin bread with cream cheese swirl.
Each morning, I’d jimmy a slice of this paleo pumpkin bread with cream cheese swirl out of the loaf pan, take it with my coffee to the couch, and sit there with Leo in the morning, watching Curious George and negotiating with myself about going back for seconds. Filling but not heavy, tender but not too soft, spiced but not overly so, it’s a fantastic breakfast, snack, or treat during fall and winter!
Why This Recipe Works
- The paleo pumpkin bread base is tender and moist but not too dense with the perfect crumb.
- An easy and sweet, dairy-free “cream cheese” layer goes in between and on top of a couple layers of the paleo pumpkin bread, leveling up the everyday paleo pumpkin bread with a rich and tangy addition.
- It’s totally dairy- and grain-free! Sweetened only with unrefined sweeteners, too.
- Skip the cream cheese layer entirely if you like! You’ll still end up with the perfect paleo pumpkin bread loaf.
- Stir a handful of chocolate chips into the paleo pumpkin bread batter for a super indulgent treat.
- Turn the baked slices into French toast! Soak the slices in a mixture of eggs and almond milk with a few dashes of cinnamon then fry them up in ghee or coconut oil. O-M-goodness.
- Use a high-speed blender to make sure the cream cheese layer becomes very, very smooth. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak your cashews in hot water for 4-6 hours to ensure a smooth mixture.
- Pulse the dry ingredients for the paleo pumpkin bread together in a food processor then add the wet ingredients. Fewer dishes and steps!
- Make sure you use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
How to Make This Paleo Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
Blend all cream cheese swirl ingredients together in a high-speed blender on high. When the mixture is completely smooth, scrape into a bowl and set aside.
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with coconut oil. Preheat your oven to 350º F.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients for the paleo pumpkin bread. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine.
Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth with a spatula. Scrape half of the cream cheese mixture onto the paleo pumpkin bread layer and gently spread evenly. Top with the remaining half of the pumpkin bread batter then evenly spread the remaining cream cheese mixture on the surface.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown then tent with foil. Bake another 30-35 minutes or until the top springs back when pressed and a toothpick, inserted in the middle, comes out clean. Remove from the oven, cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Try not to eat it all in one sitting, but good luck.
Recipes You’ll Also Love:
- Pumpkin Churros with Dark Chocolate Sauce (Made in the Waffle Iron)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Breakfast Bake (Sweet Potato, Apple, Vanilla Bean)
- Sweet Potato Apple Breakfast Bake
- Caramel Apple Microwave Cake
Paleo Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar depending on how sweet you'd like it
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Make the paleo cream cheese filling. Combine all ingredients in high-speed blender and blend until very, very smooth. Scrape into bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly oil with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, salt, coconut sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda, and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and oil, and stir until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Pour half of batter into prepared loaf pan and use spatula to smooth. Scrape half of cream cheese filling onto surface and spread evenly with spatula. Scrape remaining half of pumpkin bread batter onto cream cheese layer and spread evenly with spatula, followed by the remaining cream cheese filling. Spread evenly with spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown, then tent with foil and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top springs back.
- Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Keeps in an airtight container for several days.
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.