This moon milk is positively dreamy! A delicious way to help kick you off to deep sleep, there’s a traditional moon milk, a tart cherry variation, and a honey lavender variation. Your new favorite bedtime routine!
Why This Drink is So Good
- Our dairy-free moon milk is delicious and dreamy, with hints of warm vanilla, tart cherry, or fragrant lavender.
- Ashwagandha is amazing for stress response, and it’s fantastic in this moon milk. However, you can totally skip it and still get many of the dreamy benefits.
How To Make This Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking until well-blended. Let heat for about 5 minutes until nice and warm.
- Strain the milk. Whisk everything again to make sure spices are fully incorporated before serving in a mug.
Which Flavor Should I Make?
- Traditional: Creamy and soft, this version is like a delicious, warm glass of vanilla milk before bedtime.
- Cherry: Tart and fruity, our cherry variation is like a rich cherry pie in a glass.
- Lavender: Like a bedtime London Fog, the lavender version has a floral, warm flavor. Perfect if you love the scent of lavender as you drift into dreamland.
What is Moon Milk & How Does It Work?
- Ayurvedic medicine, a 5,000-year-old holistic practice originating in India, has been using moon milk to help aid sleep for centuries.
- Ashwagandha is an adaptogen that helps your body relax by secreting anti-stress hormones, especially when incorporated into your daily diet.
- Astragalus combats inflammation, which can be a cause of insomnia. Early research shows that astragalus may even help with sleep apnea.
- Tart cherries, almond milk, soy milk, and some other non-dairy milks all contain tryptophan, an amino acid that can increase levels of serotonin and melatonin, two hormones that help with sleep.
- Lavender can help with relaxation, anti-anxiety, and long periods of deep sleep both when ingested and when used as aromatherapy.
- Besides the benefits of the ingredients, adding anything to your bedtime routine helps train your body and brain that it’s time for sleep.
Top Tips For Making
- Of course, the fancy dried flowers on top are purely for the ‘Gram. You don’t need to sprinkle your moon milk with these petals (and they kind of get in the way, anyway).
- I used about 2 capsules of ashwagandha, opened and poured into my measuring spoon, to measure. However, you can find this stress-busting adaptogenic herb in bulk, as well, making it super easy to spoon into your moon milk.
- We highly recommend talking to your doctor prior adding any herb or supplement to your diet!
More Delicious & Healthy Recipes
- Easy Golden Milk
- How to Make Almond Milk (In 5 Minutes)
- Flat Tummy Strawberry Banana Kombucha Chia Smoothie
- Tuscan Shrimp (Whole30, Paleo)
- Raw Vanilla Fudge (Vegan, Paleo, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free)
- Classic Fried Apples
- Chocolate Raspberry Maca Smoothie
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Moon Milk (3 Ways)
- Small saucepan
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk almond, coconut, oat, or macadamia
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract dash
- ground nutmeg pinch, ideally fresh
- ground cardamom pinch, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ashwaghanda
- ground black pepper pinch
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon astralagus optional
- Combine all ingredient over medium heat, whisking until well-blended. Heat for five minutes.
- Strain milk. Whisk again before serving to make sure spices are fully incorporated.
- Astralagus is optional but recommended to help aid with sleep.