This leftover turkey tortilla soup is made from leftover turkey and is so quick and easy! It’s full of flavor, and as a Whole30 tortilla soup, it’s healthy, too. With cauliflower rice and coconut milk, you’ll love how delicious this leftover turkey tortilla soup is and how healthy this Whole30 tortilla soup makes you feel after a couple days of indulgence! My favorite leftover turkey recipe.
Flashback plates of Thanksgiving leftovers only get me so far. After one or two lunches of Thanksgiving replicas, turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and green bean casserole all microwaved together, with a blob of cranberry sauce added last, I’m finished. Donezo. Moving on. Is it spring yet? I need guacamole. Who else needs guacamole? I’m getting guacamole.
And I love Thanksgiving food. I look forward to Thanksgiving Day each year with such anticipation, imagining the slight terror of waking up to a to-do list a mile long, but powering through the day with an apron permanently attached to my waist, football on in the background, a glass of champagne on the countertop next to the pie crust by 3 p.m.
And we always make too much turkey. I err on the side of heaps of leftovers and end up needing to get creative around Thanksgiving+2. Since we don’t really eat bread or tortillas too often and are almost always permanently holding our bellies by the Saturday after Thanksgiving, wailing about feeling fat and needing desperately to do a Whole30, this leftover turkey tortilla soup (and, conveniently, Whole30 tortilla soup) has been perfection.
There’s a bit of a misnomer in the title, though: there’s no tortillas involved! If you’re not paleo or Whole30 and you eat chips or tortillas on the reg, you can absolutely add some pan-fried tortilla strips or corn chips in at the end, along with some raw cheddar or organic Mexican blend, if that’s your thing! What I love about this leftover turkey tortilla soup is that it’s so versatile: it goes from Whole30 tortilla soup to decked out leftover turkey tortilla soup with crispy tortilla strips, a dollop of sour cream, and melty shreds of cheese in the flick of a wrist. Ta-da.
I used my Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup for inspiration and trimmed down the recipe to come together quickly on the stovetop, since there’s no need to cook the poultry in a leftover turkey tortilla soup, right? By the time you’ve chopped an onion and minced some garlic, it’s basically done. More time for Black Friday or Small Business Saturday, right?
Speaking of, once Giving Tuesday rolls around, I really think you should consider giving to (or raising money for!) Sonia Shah Organization. I’ve worked with this organization for something like five years now, and we carry on the dream of Chicago teenager Sonia Shah, who realized education could change a life, a village, a world. After her untimely death at only 18 years of age, her mother made it her mission to see Sonia’s dream become a reality. We now run a school for girls and offer vocational training for women in Kangra, Pakistan, and we provide scholarships to deserving women in the U.S. We’re small but mighty, and I think you might just fall in love with our students and our cause. If you’re interested, click this link to donate. Even a little bit helps! ❤️
You’ll love this leftover turkey tortilla soup because it’s so easy and so flavorful, the perfect leftover turkey recipe to use up the rest of your bird! And as a Whole30 tortilla soup, it’s squeaky clean and healthy, too. Perfect after a couple days of indulgence, right?
Leftover Turkey Tortilla Soup (Whole30 Tortilla Soup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 t chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock or turkey
- 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken chopped
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes undrained
- 1 4.5- ounce can green chiles undrained
- 12- ounce bag frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 14- ounce can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream whisked until smooth
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped, optional
- sliced green onions
- chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh jalapeños thinly sliced
- diced avocado
- coconut cream or sour cream sour cream only if not paleo or on Whole30
- lime wedges
- shredded cheese if not paleo or on Whole30
- pan-fried tortilla strips or corn chips if not paleo or on Whole30 (see note)
- Heat avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add onion. Cook until softened, stirring regularly, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Sprinkle in spices and salt and stir to coat well, then cook 30 seconds.
- Pour in stock, roasted tomatoes, chiles, cooked turkey, cauliflower rice, and coconut milk and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. When cauliflower rice is cooked through, stir in chopped cilantro then ladle into serving bowls and serve with toppings.