This Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup is full of flavor and so easy to make! Super quick and filling, this Mexican soup is creamy, spicy, and low carb.
I have this problem… but I can’t be the only one.
You see I kind of love Latin music. I develop recipes to my Celia Cruz Pandora station and know
all almost 30% of the words to La Vida Es un Carnaval.
But I have this sort of Pavlovian response to this kind of music. Two responses, if we’re being honest.
Response #1: immediately salsa with my dancing partner, Whisk/Immersion Blender/super hot cast-iron skillet. It’s pretty elegant and safe, all in one. And response #2?
I Crave Mexican food.
I could be 90% done with some elaborate French dinner, the perfectly selected wine patiently aerating on the counter, from-scratch paleo quiche in the oven, salade verte on the dinner table. But should Guantanamera come on? Scrap it all; we’re heading to El Mezcal tonight, Y’all.
Luckily for our general health slash financial stability, this Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup is quick, easy, and super economical, making it a fantastic answer to my Pavlovian response to that 1-2 and-3-4 beat any time it comes on.
Why this Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup is so good:
- It’s crazy easy: throw (almost) everything in the Instant Pot, cook for about 18 minutes, dice your chicken, add the remaining ingredients. DONE.
- It’s creamy, filling, and spicy, making it a great one-dish meal and perfect for fall and winter.
- This Mexican soup is low carb and keto-friendly, too (10g net!).
- This makes a great meal prep for the week: less time spent in the kitchen on Sunday, more time doing… uh, not meal prep.
Quick, easy, flavorful ✔
Midweek Fiesta 💃
- Brown about a pound of ground beef, drain and add it in place of the chicken breasts for an Instant Pot taco soup. You can reduce the cooking time to about 5 minutes at Manual High Pressure if you do that, too!
- Stir in some spinach, kale, or chard for extra greens.
- If you have a coconut allergy, replace the coconut milk with cashew cream: blend 1 cup raw cashews with 3/4 cup water in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- If you’re not on a Whole30, add some shredded cheese, if you feel like it.
- Top with some Siete paleo tortilla chips if you’re not on a Whole30!
- If you aren’t on a Whole30, use 2 chipotle peppers and 2 teaspoons adobo sauce in place of the chipotle pepper powder. I’ve yet to easily find Whole30-compliant chipotle peppers.
Make this Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup in the slow cooker:
Add all ingredients, except coconut milk, in the order listed. Cook on low heat for 7 hours or on high heat for 4 hours. Remove chicken breasts and dice. Stir in coconut milk, then return chicken to slow cooker. Serve with garnishes.
How to make this Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup:
Add all ingredients in the order listed to your Instant Pot, through zucchini.
Seal lid and cook on Manual High Pressure 18 minutes. Let naturally release 10 minutes then Quick Release.
Remove chicken breasts from pot and dice. Stir in coconut milk and diced chicken; stir until smooth. Serve with plenty of garnishes.
What kind of Instant Pot do I have?
I use mine seriously all the time and love this one (<<< affiliate link!). Check it out!
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Mexican Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (Instant Pot, Whole30, Paleo)
- Healthy Zuppa Toscana (Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free)
- Instant Pot Bone Broth That Gels (Whole30 Bone Broth)
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup
This Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup is full of flavor and so easy to make! Super quick and filling, this Mexican soup is creamy, spicy, healthy, and low carb.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 10-ounce cans tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 14.5-ounce can Whole30-compliant chicken broth
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3 teaspoons chipotle pepper powder if on Whole30. 1 teaspoon for mild, 3 teaspoons for hot. If not on Whole30, see note
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 zucchinis chopped or cut into 1/2" half moons
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream whisked until smooth
- fresh avocado slices
- red onions sliced thin
- fresh cilantro chopped
- coconut cream
- lime juice
- shredded cheese if not paleo or on Whole30
- tortilla strips if not paleo or on Whole30
Sprinkle boneless skinless chicken breasts with salt. Add the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients in order, through zucchini.
Secure the lid on the pot. Cook at high pressure for 18 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for ten minutes, then use the manual release. Pull out the chicken breasts and add coconut milk. Switch Instant Pot to Sauté mode and stir to combine. Dice chicken, then return it to the soup. Serve hot, topped with garnishes of choice.
This recipe was originally posted May 2017 but was updated with video, new photos, step-by-step directions, and tips August 2018.766