This Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-less soup is full of flavor and so easy to make! Super quick and filling, this Mexican soup is creamy, spicy, and low carb.
What Makes This Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-less Soup So Good
- It’s crazy easy: throw (almost) everything in the Instant Pot, cook for about 18 minutes, dice your chicken, add the remaining ingredients. DONE.
- It’s creamy, filling, and spicy, making it a great one-dish meal and perfect for fall and winter.
- This Mexican soup is low carb and keto-friendly, too (10g net!).
- This makes a great meal prep for the week: less time spent in the kitchen on Sunday, more time doing… uh, not meal prep.
- If you’re not on a Whole30, add some shredded cheese, if you feel like it.
- Top with some Siete paleo tortilla chips if you’re not on a Whole30!
- If you aren’t on a Whole30, use 2 chipotle peppers and 2 teaspoons adobo sauce in place of the chipotle pepper powder. I’ve yet to easily find Whole30-compliant chipotle peppers.
- Brown about a pound of ground beef, drain and add it in place of the chicken breasts for an Instant Pot taco soup. You can reduce the cooking time to about 5 minutes at Manual High Pressure if you do that, too!
- Stir in some spinach, kale, or chard for extra greens.
- If you have a coconut allergy, replace the coconut milk with cashew cream: blend 1 cup raw cashews with 3/4 cup water in a high-speed blender until smooth.
For a Slow Cooker Version
Add all ingredients, except coconut milk, in the order listed. Cook on low heat for 7 hours or on high heat for 4 hours. Remove chicken breasts and dice. Stir in coconut milk, then return chicken to slow cooker. Serve with garnishes.
What Kind of Instant Pot Do I Use?
I use mine seriously all the time and love this one (<<< affiliate link!). Check it out!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Mexican Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (Instant Pot, Whole30, Paleo)
- Healthy Zuppa Toscana (Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free)
- Instant Pot Bone Broth That Gels (Whole30 Bone Broth)
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Healthy Chicken Tostadas
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup
- Instant Pot
For the Soup
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 ½ pounds
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 10-ounce cans tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth Whole30-compliant
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3 teaspoons chipotle pepper powder 1 teaspoon for mild, 3 teaspoons for hot. If not on Whole30, see Notes.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 zucchinis chopped or cut into ½-inch half moons
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream whisked until smooth
For the Garnish
- fresh avocado slices
- red onions sliced thin
- fresh cilantro chopped
- coconut cream
- lime juice
- shredded cheese if not paleo or on Whole30
- tortilla strips if not paleo or on Whole30
- Sprinkle boneless skinless chicken breasts with salt. Add the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients in order, through zucchini.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Cook at high pressure for 18 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for ten minutes, then use the manual release. Pull out the chicken breasts and add coconut milk. Switch Instant Pot to Sauté mode and stir to combine. Dice or shred chicken, then return it to the soup. Serve hot, topped with garnishes of choice.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.