This simple chickpea salad sandwich is a creamy and filling vegetarian lunch idea that we whip up all the time! Like a chickpea tuna salad but totally vegan, made with a few flavorful but simple ingredients. My husband asks me to make this for him to take to work ALL the time!
Why This Chickpea Salad Sandwich Is So Good
- This chickpea salad is based on my popular Costco-style chicken salad recipe, but is completely vegan!
- Even dedicated meat-eaters will love the flavor and texture of this chickpea salad. Chunks of rich chickpeas, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard, and fresh veggies make this the perfect lunch (or dinner!).
- This recipe is perfect for chowing down on right away, but also great stored for super easy meal prep or boxed lunches.
How To Make This Recipe
- Simmer the chickpeas in the liquid from their cans for 10 minutes in a large skillet or saucepan.
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander or strainer, then add them to a bowl and mash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir or mash until combined well.
- Serve on bread, in a lettuce cup, or in a pita. Add any veggies you like, such as sprouts, tomatoes, or lettuce.
Top Tips For Making Chickpea Salad
- If you’re not on a vegan diet, you can use just regular mayonnaise.
- The simmering makes a big difference in the softness of the chickpeas. Ideally cook them from dried at home for the most tender chickpea, but simmering works if you use canned.
- Your chickpea salad will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3-4 days.
- Just FYI, chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans! You may see them canned as such at your grocery, but they’re the same thing!
More Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Chickpea Gyros
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- BBQ Jackfruit Bowls
- Bean and Cheese Taquitos (4 Ingredients)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This vegan version of my Costco chicken salad is just as creamy and delicious, but totally meat-free.
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas about 3 3/4 cups
- 4-5 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoons Dijon mustard plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion minced
- 2 tablespoons celery minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Simmer the chickpeas in liquid from their cans for 10 minutes.
Drain chickpeas in a colander or strainer, then add to bowl and mash.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir or mash until combined.
Serve on bread, in lettuce cup, or in pita.
- Vegan: Be sure to use vegan mayonnaise.
- Simmering: Important as it makes canned chickpeas much softer.
- Storage: Keep chickpea salad in airtight container in fridge for 3-4 days.