This simple chickpea salad sandwich is a creamy and filling vegetarian lunch idea that we whip up all the time! Like a chickpea tuna salad but totally vegan, made with a few flavorful but simple ingredients. My husband asks me to make this for him to take to work ALL the time!
Why This Chickpea Salad Sandwich Is So Good
- This chickpea salad is based on my popular Costco-style chicken salad recipe, but is completely vegan!
- Even dedicated meat-eaters will love the flavor and texture of this chickpea salad. Chunks of rich chickpeas, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard, and fresh veggies make this the perfect lunch (or dinner!).
- This recipe is perfect for chowing down on right away, but also great stored for super easy meal prep or boxed lunches.
How To Make This Recipe
- Simmer the chickpeas in the liquid from their cans for 10 minutes in a large skillet or saucepan.
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander or strainer, then add them to a bowl and mash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir or mash until combined well.
- Serve on bread, in a lettuce cup, or in a pita. Add any veggies you like, such as sprouts, tomatoes, or lettuce.
Top Tips For Making Chickpea Salad
- If you’re not on a vegan diet, you can use just regular mayonnaise.
- The simmering makes a big difference in the softness of the chickpeas. Ideally cook them from dried at home for the most tender chickpea, but simmering works if you use canned.
- Your chickpea salad will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3-4 days.
- Just FYI, chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans! You may see them canned as such at your grocery, but they’re the same thing!
More Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Chickpea Gyros
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- BBQ Jackfruit Bowls
- Bean and Cheese Taquitos (4 Ingredients)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas about 3 3/4 cups
- 4-5 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoons Dijon mustard plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion minced
- 2 tablespoons celery minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Simmer the chickpeas in liquid from their cans for 10 minutes.
- Drain chickpeas in a colander or strainer, then add to bowl and mash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir or mash until combined.
- Serve on bread, in lettuce cup, or in pita.
- Vegan: Be sure to use vegan mayonnaise.
- Simmering: Important as it makes canned chickpeas much softer.
- Storage: Keep chickpea salad in airtight container in fridge for 3-4 days.