This is the BEST tofu recipe out there, if you want crispy, golden tofu that’s full of flavor and easy to make. This crispy baked tofu creates a golden crust around quick marinated tofu cubes, and it’s perfect for dipping or including in any recipe that uses tofu. Delicious.
What Makes This Crispy Baked Tofu So Good
- This method gives your tofu an incredible golden crust with just the right amount of crunch.
- It’s unbelievably easy to make! A quick marinade, a toss in cornstarch, then 30 minutes in the oven gives you deliciously crispy tofu with a little sweet-and-savory flavor. Literally anyone could do this!
- Crispy baked tofu is a great snack or main dish all on its own, but you can use this method for any recipe that calls for tofu! Crispy baked tofu and broccoli with a side of rice? SIGN ME UP.
- It’s even great as leftovers or make-ahead meals! It’s best when it’s freshly cooked, but the baked tofu will stay good up to 5 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can freeze it, too, but it’ll lose some of its crispiness and will be a little tough once it’s reheated.
Key Ingredients for Crispy Baked Tofu
Tofu – For this recipe, extra firm tofu works best. One of the great things about tofu is that it soaks up the flavor of whatever you marinate it in. Here it takes on this delicious, slightly sweet flavor with all the umami of tamari or soy sauce. Amazing.
Cornstarch – This powder acts as a sort-of breading and gives your baked tofu that ideal crust. The recipe calls for 3-6 tablespoons, but how much you use will just depend on how much of a breading you want your tofu to have!
- You can customize the marinade based on your preferences or mood! Feel free to add any seasonings you like, swap out the maple syrup for a little more sesame oil, use teriyaki sauce, or try BBQ sauce for a smoky, tangy tofu.
- To get truly crispy baked tofu, you need to drain out as much moisture as possible! Drain and press the tofu before adding it to your marinade. After marinating, drain as much of the excess marinade from the tofu as you can.
- Since tofu absorbs, work quickly to cover every side of each cube in marinade before you let them rest in the marinade. Every side should be covered so that the cornstarch can stick well!
- Can you cook crispy baked tofu in the air fryer? SURE! I recommend trying it at 380°F for 10 minutes, then flipping and cooking another 5-10 minutes. You can adjust the cook time depending on how crispy you want your tofu.
More Meatless Recipes You’ll Love
- Tempeh Bacon
- Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Chick-fil-A Tofu Nuggets with Vegan “Honey” Mustard Sauce
- Vegan Biscuits & Gravy
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Crispy Baked Tofu
- Large bowl
- Freezer bag
- Baking sheet
- Cooking spray or parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Add tofu cubes, tamari, maple syrup, and sesame oil to large bowl. Mix until well combined. Let rest in bowl at least 5 minutes.
- Drain tofu. Transfer ⅓ of tofu cubes to zippered freezer bag. Add 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch. Toss to coat.
- Repeat with remaining tofu and cornstarch, adding more cornstarch as needed.
- Spray baking sheet with plenty of cooking spray, or line with parchment paper. Place tofu cubes on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes at 400°F. Remove from oven and flip each tofu cube over. Return baking sheet to oven and bake another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Serve hot.
- Make it Paleo: Substitute arrowroot powder or tapioca starch for cornstarch.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!