This egg roll in a bowl with creamy chili sauce is a wonderfully flavorful, quick Whole30 recipe made in one pan. It’s a low carb, keto friendly, and paleo slaw that becomes an addictive Asian dinner recipe the whole family will love. P.S. That creamy chili sauce – WHOA.
Why This is the BEST Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
- It’s all the goodness of an egg roll without the unhealthy, deep-fried wrapper.
- Prep is super simple thanks to premade coleslaw mix.
- Topping it all with a spicy mayo takes the flavors in this egg roll in a bowl recipe to a whole other level!
- It’s Whole30 compliant, so there are absolutely no added sweeteners, grains, gluten, or soy. Perfect for those with allergies or who are just trying to eat healthy! We love it so much, we featured it in our Whole30 Meal Plan!
- It’s so easy to make a keto egg roll in a bowl using this recipe. Just swap out the coconut aminos for Braggs Aminos, Lite Tamari, or your favorite soy sauce (if you’re not also Whole30). Leave out the water chestnuts, and use a keto-friendly, low-carb hot sauce.
- You only need one skillet for this slaw recipe, so clean up is easy, too!
How to Make An Egg Roll in a Bowl
The full instructions and ingredients list are available in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s a look at what’s involved!
First off, heat the sesame oil in a large skillet, then add the red onion, the white parts of green onions, and garlic and sauté until the onion is softened.
Add your ground pork, ginger, and sriracha or chili-garlic sauce and cook everything until the ground pork is brown and crumbles with a spatula. Mix in coleslaw mix, aminos, vinegar, salt, and pepper, and cook until the coleslaw is tender. Stir it regularly!
In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, sriracha or hot sauce, and a pinch of salt. Transfer that mixture to a small piping bag or plastic bag and cut off the tip of the plastic bag. The piping bag makes drizzling the sauce so easy!
Transfer your egg roll into its bowl, drizzle with spicy mayo, and garnish with the green parts of the green onions and sesame seeds.
- This recipe makes enough to serve two with leftovers or four without. It’s fantastic for meal prep, just make sure you store the creamy spicy mayo / red chili sauce separately.
- The sauce should be thick and rich, so make sure you simmer it down enough. It shouldn’t be very liquid!
- If you can’t eat eggs and aren’t on a Whole30, try a vegan mayo in place of the regular mayonnaise for the red chili sauce. Should you be on a Whole30 and are avoiding eggs, simply swap the mayonnaise for coconut cream – the solid white part of a can of coconut milk.
- Check out my Whole30 sriracha recipe for the creamy red chili sauce; it’s amazing! If you don’t have time, simply sub your favorite Whole30 compliant hot sauce in for the sriracha.
- Try broccoli slaw instead of the shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix. Many reviewers have made it this way and loved it!
- If you’re not on a Whole30 diet and you tolerate soy well, you can substitute soy sauce for the coconut aminos. Go easy on the salt if you use soy sauce, though.
- Don’t eat pork? No problem! Swap the ground pork for ground turkey or ground chicken. You can even use shrimp if you prefer! Sauté them until they’re pink and not translucent, then remove them. Add them back in right before serving and toss well.
- Adding water chestnuts to your egg roll in a bowl will give the dish a satisfying crunch, and it will still be Whole30-compliant!
FAQ – Is rice wine vinegar Whole30 compliant?
Yep – even though it has “rice” and “wine” in the name.
Every vinegar except malt is allowed on the program. Just make sure you’re not using “seasoned” rice wine vinegar, which almost always includes sugar.
FAQ – Can I make this keto egg roll in a bowl ahead of time?
Yes, this makes a great keto meal prep! It reheats pretty well, so it’s the perfect dish for leftovers. However, it’s probably a good idea to store the spicy mayo in a separate container.
Our Other Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipes
- Southwestern Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Egg Roll In a Bowl Meal Prep
- Breakfast Egg Roll in a Bowl (Whole30, Paleo)
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Egg Roll in a Bowl (Whole30, Keto, Paleo, Low Carb)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions sliced, green and white parts divided
- 1/2 cup red onion diced. Skip for keto. See Note
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 8-oz. can water chestnuts chopped. Skip for keto
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or hot sauce See Note 1
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos See Note 2 for keto or low carb
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
- salt to taste
- black sesame seeds for garnish
- green parts of sliced green onions from above
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Add white parts of green onions, diced red onion, and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the red onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground pork, grated ginger, water chestnuts (Skip for keto), and 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce or chili-garlic sauce and cook until pork is browned, broken up, and cooked through about 7-10 minutes.
- Add coleslaw mix, coconut aminos or soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, white pepper, and salt, to taste, and stir until well combined. Cook, stirring regularly, until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1-2 tablespoons compliant hot sauce. Add a pinch of salt, to taste. To drizzle, place creamy chili sauce in a small plastic sandwich bag.
- To plate: spoon a hearty helping of the pork-cabbage mixture in a serving bowl. Snip off the corner of the sandwich bag with the creamy chili sauce and drizzle over egg roll in a bowl recipe mixture. Garnish with green parts of the green onions and black sesame seeds.
- Rosé, like this rosé from Chile
- Red blend, like this red from Italy
- Pinot grigio, like this white from Italy