Oh, hello there, vegan pumpkin waffles.
Oh, hello there, spiced autumn goodness. Hello there, crisp cool mornings and pumpkin richness. Hello there, waffles-I-crave-every-single-non-fall-day.
How you been?
Whenever the humidity begins to lift ever so slightly from the air and a final break from the heat is in sight, I bust out the pumpkin waffles with some serious fervor. I’d feel like a character from the Mindy Show if I made them all year long, so I tuck them away for my very favorite season of all.. autumn! Duh.
Most vegan waffles taste an awful lot like um, flaxseed. They’re usually dense and anything but tender, but these vegan pumpkin waffles are just like their non-vegan counterparts. They’re a bit crisp on the outside, totally tender on the inside, with just enough warm autumn spice and rich pumpkin to remind you it’s almost time to start planning your badass jack-o-lantern design this year (Me? I’m on a Nightmare Before Christmas kick, but don’t think I’m quite ready to tackle Oogey Boogey Man just yet).
These vegan pumpkin waffles come together quickly and are perfect for a relaxed weekend breakfast. Top with real maple syrup and a little pat of vegan butter, and you’re in the crunchy-pile-of-leaves equivalent of heaven.
Vegan Pumpkin Waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 piece flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons warm water, mix then set aside for about 5 minutes or until consistency of egg white)
- 2 teaspoon Spray coconut oil (or other cooking spray)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center of mixture. In a large measuring cup, stir together almond milk, pumpkin purée, brown sugar, melted coconut oil, and flax egg. Pour into well in flour mixture and stir 'til just combined.
- Preheat a waffle iron and coat with spray coconut oil or cooking spray. Spoon about 1/3 - 1/2 cup batter per waffle onto iron and spread batter out to edges. Cook according to waffle iron directions, repeating until all batter is used.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through cloves) in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (milk through egg) in a bowl, and add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray; preheat. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter per waffle onto hot waffle iron, spreading the batter to the edges. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat procedure with remaining batter.
Top with real maple syrup and a little pat of vegan butter.