This Mexican chicken soup is super flavorful and easy! With just one pot you’ll have a complete and hearty meal everyone will love. Throw this simple Mexican chicken soup together in under 30 minutes!
What Makes This Soup So Good
- It all comes together in just one pot! Keep dinner super basic with this Mexican chicken soup recipe. This one pot meal means easy cooking and easy cleanup!
- It’s bursting with delicious flavor! Cumin, coriander, and salt is all you’ll need to season this simple soup recipe. Finely chopped jalapeño gives this dish a hint of spice while fresh cilantro keeps things bright and flavorful!
- It takes just 30 minutes to make! Start by sautéing the veggies, then simmer your soup. Finish this easy recipe off with some chicken and cilantro, then enjoy!
Jalapeño – Feel free to add more or less jalapeño based on your spice preferences. I used a whole jalapeño in my soup and it was subtly spicy without being overwhelming. Though if you are sensitive to spice, you can use just half of a jalapeño or leave it out of your soup altogether.
Cooked Chicken – Either diced or shredded cooked chicken will work in this soup. This recipe is also a great way to use up any leftover chicken or put a rotisserie chicken to good use! I used leftover chopped chicken breast in my Mexican chicken soup and it turned out delicious. It also saved my leftover chicken from going bad. However, if you don’t have any leftover chicken, you can use this super simple method to cook and shred chicken instead.
- Don’t be afraid of customizing this recipe and making it your own! Add any extra veggies or seasonings you’d like to this soup. A can of hominy, black beans, and/or corn would all make great additions to this savory dish.
- Serve this easy dinner however you’d like. I love enjoying mine with some crispy tortilla chips and a fresh squeeze of lime juice. Shredded cheese or fresh sliced avocado would also make delicious toppings on this soup.
- You can freeze this soup if you’d like! To freeze, let the soup cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. This Mexican chicken soup will stay good in the freezer for up to two months!
Other Easy Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Leftover Turkey Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Tom Yum Soup
- Udon Soup
- Chili’s Southwest Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Large pot
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add in the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 10 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Add in the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds before adding in the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, jalapeño, cumin, coriander seed, and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the cooked chicken and cilantro, stir to combine then serve.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.