This Instant Pot gluten-free chicken noodle soup is the answer to homemade chicken noodle soup when you’re sick! It’s so easy to make and tastes like you simmered it all day. This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is made with a whole chicken, making the broth rich and the chicken tender. Use zoodles instead of gluten free pasta for an Instant Pot paleo chicken noodle soup!
Are you like me? I know you are. Of course you are.
Well, OK, so maybe you don’t bust out into full boy band dances in IKEA (Is it just ours that sticks almost exclusively to 90s pop?) and maybe you don’t make spreadsheets the moment you find out you’re pregnant to get all the baby things done. And if you do, you should definitely email me. We can start a “I’m super type A but also kind of relaxed and weird, and it’s really confusing” support group.”
And while you might not do those things, you’re still like me! Because you probably crave soup when you’re sick, right? For me, it’s almost always a really rich chicken soup. If I’m feeling congested as hell, I’ll opt for a crazy spicy Thai tom yum or tom kha soup, guaranteed to forcibly steam open my face cavities in a matter of minutes with the sheer force of Thai bird eye chiles.
But if it’s a cold or general “sick” feeling, it’s always a homemade chicken noodle soup, with plenty of chicken and fresh herbs and tender noodles, but the last thing I want to do when I’ve got chills and a sinus headache is stand over the stove or settle for something iffy out of a can.
Luckily, I’ve got the solution: the Instant Pot. The magical, magical Instant Pot.
The best part? It’s easy as throwing everything in a pot and super versatile in terms of the kinds of noodles you use. And while we don’t eat a ton of “gluten-free” products at home on a regular basis, when I’m sick, I’m all about the gluten-free noodles. Zoodles just won’t cut it! But hey, if they sound good to you, you should definitely make the swap.
Because the chicken cooks with the aromatics in water, it produces an extremely rich broth and tender chicken in a single step. After that, you simply shred the chicken and add it back to the soup, while the noodles soften to perfection. Spoon up a big bowl and get well, my friend!
Can I use zoodles instead?
Sure! You’ll just want to add the zoodles when you serve the soup, so skip the pasta directions entirely. Portion freshly spiralized zucchini into your serving bowls first then ladle the hot soup over. Perfection.
If you’re in the market for a spiralizer, I’m absolutely in love with my Paderno. It’s super easy and super fast, both of which are musts when you’re making Instant Pot gluten free chicken noodle soup because you or someone [lucky] that you love isn’t feeling so good.
Can I use regular pasta instead?
Sure! Simply substitute regular pasta in for the gluten-free pasta and follow the directions as written. Egg noodles would be fantastic here, but I can never find gluten-free egg noodles where I live!
Can I make this Instant Pot gluten-free chicken noodle soup in the Crockpot?
Sure! You’ll want to sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery as written in the recipe, then add all the ingredients, except for the noodles and parsley, to your slow cooker, cover, and cook until the chicken is cooked through with the meat falling off the bone (If you’re using this slow cooker that I linked, you’ll want to cook the chicken to about 163º F internal temperature – the temperature will rise a bit as the chicken rests and is shredded). This will take about 6 hours on High or 8 hours on Low. While you shred the chicken, add the pasta and cook on low about 20-30 minutes or until cooked. Return the chicken to the soup and warm through then serve.
Instant Pot Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Tbsp. refined coconut oil avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 5 carrots sliced on the diagonal into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 whole chicken about 5 pounds, giblets removed and discarded or saved for another use
- 8 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp. pink or grey salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2-2 cups gluten-free fusilli or other pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté and heat 1 Tbsp. oil in pot. Add onions and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, and celery, and sauté for 1-2 more minutes, or until garlic is fragrant and celery is beginning to soften.
- Place whole chicken on top of vegetables, then pour in water, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Secure lid and set to Manual High Pressure for 20 minutes. When timer is up, Quick Release lid carefully.
- Carefully transfer whole chicken to a large cutting board, keeping an eye on any liquid from the cavity. It will be very hot!
- Turn Instant Pot on Satué mode and add gluten-free pasta.
- While pasta cooks, with two forks, shred chicken off the bone. When pasta is tender, return chicken pieces to soup, discarding bones. Stir in fresh parsley and fresh lemon juice. Add more salt or pepper to taste. Serve.