It was love at first sight. Dark and rich, I knew from the moment I laid eyes upon
him it, that this happenstance was the beginning of a long, intense relationship.
Flour chocolate cake spoke to me in a way that “regular” chocolate cake just didn’t. Gooey and dense, it tasted like chocolate cake without all the unnecessary distractions, like eggs and, well, flour. Fudgy, but still springy, like a deflated soufflé.. but even richer. I’m.. I’m in love.
This flourless chocolate cake in particular makes use of cocoa powder and melted chocolate, providing a delicate balance between a gooey fudge and classic, rich chocolate cake. Even better? It’s quite possibly the easiest cake I’ve made in a long, long…. looooong time. It comes together in a singular bowl and takes only a few minutes. Sit on your tush for about 20 minutes, and voilà! You just made the world a better place–if only slightly (but that totally counts).
I served wedges of this flourless chocolate cake with a pomegranate-raspberry reduction and a dollop of crème fraîche the first time around on New Year’s Eve and later with a dusting of simple, saccharine powdered sugar and rubied pomegranate seeds. You can top it with a shiny chocolate ganache or traditional frosting–whatever sounds good to you. It’s perfect for company… or not. Make this on the weekends, make this on the weeknights, make this for lunch instead of that salad patiently awaiting you in the fridge. Make this whenever and for whomever. This recipe is damn versatile and damn delicious. Damn damn!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate no need to chop if using chips, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300º F. Grease an 8" round cake pan, and dust with cocoa powder.
- Melt the chocolate and butter, two options: In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. OR microwave in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second bursts, being careful not to over-nuke.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Slices can be reheated for 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave before serving.
Adapted from AllRecipes