This vegan alfredo sauce is simply the best. It’s made in only 3 minutes in a blender and is ultra-rich, creamy, cheesy, and nutty, too. This recipe is “Is this really vegan?” material!
This unbelievably creamy, rich alfredo sauce tastes so much like the real deal, but with no dairy or other animal byproducts. It’s so quick and easy to make, too, making it perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. With a few secret ingredients that make this alfredo sauce the absolute best, you may never go back to the traditional kind!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Cashews – Cashews make this sauce ultra creamy and buttery, making the sauce nice and thick, but not too thick.
Nutritional yeast – Adds a nice cheesy flavor.
Tahini – Made from toasted ground hulled sesame, tahini adds a lovely nutty flavor that mimics parmesan cheese.
How To Make Vegan Alfredo Sauce
The full recipe is below, but here you’ll find all the steps for making this recipe perfectly the first and 100th time, along with useful tips and info!
Soak the raw cashews in hot water. I pour hot water over mine and let them sit for 30-60 minutes while I do other things. (This is optional but helps positively ensure a smooth sauce.
Drain the cashews and add to a high-speed blender along with other ingredients, and blend on high speed. (See the top tips if you don’t have a high-speed blender!)
Toss with the hot, cooked pasta and serve!
Top Tips For Making Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you MUST soak your cashews in hot water for several hours. Otherwise your sauce will not get the right consistency!
- Reserve a little of your pasta water and add it to your alfredo a tablespoon at a time to help thin the sauce and help it cling to the noodles.
More Delicious Vegan Recipes
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
The Best Vegan Alfredo Sauce
This rich and creamy alfredo sauce tastes so much like the real thing, but is completely vegan!
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 3/4-1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 – 1 ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 3/4 pound fettuccine or other pasta cooked in salted water according to package instructions and drained
- parsley for garnish freshly chopped, for garnish, optional
Soak raw cashews in hot water for 30-60 minutes while I do other things. (See notes.)
Drain the cashews and add to high-speed blender along with other water or almond milk, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, tahini, and dried basil, and blend on high speed about 90 seconds until smooth. Toss with the hot, cooked pasta and serve immediately.
- Soaking cashews: Optional if using a high-speed blender, but recommended. If not using high-speed blender, cashews MUST be soaked in hot water for several hours.
- Sauce note: Reserve a little of your pasta water and add it to your alfredo a tablespoon at a time to help thin the sauce and help it cling to the noodles.
I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
There are so many types of wine that go well with the buttery flavor of alfredo sauce, but here are a few of my faves:
– Chardonnay, like 2019 Dove Hunt Dog Chardonnay from Potter Valley, California
– Pinot Noir, like 2018 Middle Jane Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley, Oregon
– Pinot Grigio, like 2019 Che Fico Pinot Grigio from DOC delle Venezie, Italy