You see, when we head to this TexMex joint nearby, I’ll usually order fish tacos, a guacamole tostada, something reasonably healthy–reasonably, let’s not get loco here–but when my ordering mindset is “screw it”? Taquitos, man. Deep-fried, super crunchy, queso-on-the-side taquitos. Oh mommy, mommy, mommy.
So when I stocked up on organic chickens on sale a little while back, I knew healthier, homemade taquitos had to be on the meal plan. Bonus points? You can totally go to town on a plate of taquitos one-handed, baby squirming in the other arm.. just saying.
Since I wouldn’t be deep frying them, I mixed the shredded chicken with a bit of cream cheese and shredded cheese, rolled them in whole wheat tortillas, rubbed them down in avocado oil (Can we even talk about how much I love avocado oil?! So much.), and baked them. They were surprisingly crispy, crunchy, and flavorful.. not to mention quick and easy! They’re a perfect way to use up a rotisserie chicken, but they work well with your typical baked chicken, too.
And this avocado salsa? I’ve already written a love letter to this stuff, but it bears repeating: this stuff is good. The perfect balance of creamy and slightly tangy, it’s pretty much good on everything and is healthy enough to offer a guilt-free slathering in this case. Dip, dunk, immerse.. no judgment here.
- 2 cups chicken, shredded or chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- about 10 whole-wheat flour tortillas
- neutral oil, for baking, like avocado oil, light olive oil, or refined coconut oil
- Avocado salsa, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350º. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Soften tortillas by wrapping a few at a time in a damp paper towel and microwaving in 15 seconds bursts, until a bit warm but not hot. Working with one at a time, spoon about 2 rounded tablespoons of chicken filling in the middle of the tortilla. Spread loosely towards the edges, keeping in a line shape, staying about a ½"-3/4" from the edge. Roll tightly and place seam-side down on the wire rack. Repeat until all filling is used. Brush taquitos generously with oil on all sides and bake 18-22 minutes, or until a bit browned and crispy. Remove from oven and serve with avocado salsa.