Even since I was a kid, I’ve never been one of those people who squealed over pasta primavera, who even ordered a reasonable marinara, who ever got excited a cheesy baked ziti. Nope, it’s alfredo all. the. way. for me.
Which is unfortunate seeing as how, you know, it’s laden with cheese, cream, and butter, none of which are a) very healthy or b) very vegan. So when I went vegan, I knew I had to recreate this dish. Of course, there’s my avocado alfredo which is creamy, garlicky, and oh-so-rich, and I’m working on a cashew- and miso-based concoction to share with you. But there are (frequent) times when all I want is a classic bowl of tangy, rich, totally heavenly sauce just absolutely smothering some tender fettuccine, and in those times? This
fits absolutely obliterates, destroys the bill.
I came up with this recipe for the vegan dairy brand Tofutti with whom I partner (check out that sweet rectangular ad in the sidebar >>>), and you may have seen some of my previous Tofutti recipes like my..
- strawberry cheesecake milkshake (omg.)
- ricotta and tomato layered pasta bowl (nom.)
- lemon ricotta cheesecake with blueberry white wine sauce (omgomgomg…. NOM)
- chocolate cupcakes with peppermint frosting, or..
- vegan cronuts with blackberry-cream cheese filling and lemon glaze (I know. I know! It almost hurts how good they are)
So suffice it to say, Tofutti products and I have a pretty stellar working relationship, and they once again exceeded my expectations in this classic alfredo! By using Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, I found a totally smooth creaminess and richness, and by adding in a bit of Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream I found a necessary tang that comes with the cheese-and-butter edition and is so often missing from vegan takes.
O and I totally devour this every time I throw it together, which is unsurprisingly often considering how a) delicious it is and b) how extremely easy it is to make. It’s also super versatile, lending itself well to folding in almost any veggies, proteins, herbs, or spices (even, say, a Cajun-blackened chicken, if you’re just trying to avoid dairy and aren’t vegetarian!). We’ve served it with steamed broccoli and chopped Roma tomatoes, which was bright and springy, yet still rich and so satisfying; it’s perfect, too, with just a handful of baby spinach stirred in right before serving. However you do it….
Check out the recipe on Tofutti’s site!
If you make this, please share! Make sure you use the hashtag #40aprons on Instagram or Twitter so I can see. There’s nothing more I love than browsing your creations!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic , minced
- 4 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (half tub)
- 1 cup almond milk , unflavored and unsweetened
- 1/4 cup Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 servings pasta , boiled in salted water until al dente and drained once sauce is finished
- vegetables like baby spinach , sautéed mushrooms, diced Roma tomatoes, steamed broccoli, optional
- In a medium skillet, melt vegan butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add in Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and reduce heat to medium-low. Let melt slightly then add in almond milk, Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and miso paste. Whisk until very smooth and heated through.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon salt and taste. Add more salt and/or dried or fresh herbs to taste. Toss with hot pasta, add in any vegetables (optional) and serve.