This crispy Whole30 and paleo coconut chicken with “honey” mustard sauce will fulfill your fried chicken cravings – made with all the good-for-you ingredients and without the hassle of deep frying! It’s a delicious low carb recipe that your family will love.
I am seriously excited to have Jean of What Great Grandma Ate over! She believes that the food you love should love you back and I could not agree more! I don’t know about you, but I definitely feel the love when looking at her Cripsy Paleo Coconut Chicken! And come on, a Paleo Honey Mustard Sauce with Medjool dates as a sweetener? This, my friends, is simply genius! – Cheryl
These crispy paleo coconut chicken are my newest comfort food. After eating mostly paleo over 4 years now, one of the foods I have missed the most is a yummy, crunchy fried chicken with a crispy layer of breading. Whether it was chicken nuggets or chicken fingers, I would devour them a kid with ketchup or honey mustard and a big smile on my face. Oh, how I miss those days… I could eat all the horrible-for-you foods and ALL THE SUGAR AND GLUTEN, and still get away with it. Not so much anymore. So to satisfy my crunchy chicken craving in a more responsible way (adulting hard over here), I’ve experimented with a variety of “paleofied” crispy chicken recipes, and I think I found my favorite version with these yummy bites. Not only is this paleo coconut chicken deliciously crunchy while being moist and flavorful, it’s super easy to make since you bake them instead of dealing with the whole hot mess of frying them.
What really makes these coconut chicken though? It’s the “honey” mustard sauce that is seriously to die for. It really takes the flavor of the chicken to the next level, so do not skip on the sauce! It’s a perfect combination of tangy and sweet, and best of all, it’s Whole30 friendly, made with Medjool dates instead of honey to sweeten it all. The chicken itself is coated with tapioca starch and spices, then with with an egg wash, and then finally into a mixture of unsweetened coconut flakes and almond flour before getting baked to crispy perfection. Even if you don’t like the taste of coconuts, I think you’ll still like this paleo coconut chicken recipe because you can’t really taste the coconut that strongly, especially smothered with the honey mustard sauce (how else would you even eat it?).
These crispy paleo coconut chicken are a dish that both adults and kids will love, and you can also eat them with your hands so they are extra fun. They are a healthy finger food that are allergen-free and also free of refined sugars, so I hope you to go make them and enjoy the heck out of them!
Crispy Paleo Coconut Chicken with "Honey" Mustard Sauce (Whole30, Low Carb, Keto)
INGREDIENTS PALEO COCONUT CHICKEN
"HONEY" MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1/4 cup medjool dates soaked to soften
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps water
- 1 tbsps fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and grease a baking sheet or cover it with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients for the "honey" mustard sauce in a blender and blend together until smooth and creamy. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Pound the chicken into an even layer, then cut into 3/4 inch strips.
- Prepare an assembly line of three bowls: one with tapioca starch, garlic powder, sea salt, and ground black pepper; one with whisked egg; and lastly, one with shredded coconut and almond flour.
- Dredge each chicken strip in the tapioca starch mixture, then the egg, and then coat well with shredded coconut.
- Repeat for the rest of the chicken and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then flip the chicken to bake for additional 7 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with "honey" mustard sauce.