This Paleo Sesame Chicken recipe is a healthy version of a classic Chinese takeout meal with minimal effort! Tender pieces of chicken fried in a crunchy sesame coating and slathered in a sweet and tangy sauce…what’s not to love?!
A warm welcome to Tessa the Domestic Diva. She’s a mum and former teacher who learned to cook allergy-friendly foods when her third kid needed it. Her blog is all about real food and her recipes are not only super family-friendly, but also mostly gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, Paleo, and keto. Chinese Food is one of my favourite comfort foods and I LOVE that Tessa created a Paleo version of a classic like Sesame Chicken! Paired with all those crunchy grated veggies, these tender sesame-crusted chicken bites are literally making me drool!
Growing up, Chinese food was always one of my favorite family restaurant options. We didn’t go out often, but when we did, Chinese food was always a regular choice. I can only imagine at some of the ingredients used to create those deep fried chicken dishes I so loved. MSG? Likely. Processed vegetable oils? Definitely. And sugar? Probably a given!
Now, I know better. I know the quality of the food I put into my body really does have an impact on my health and well being! So to relive those nostalgic restaurant memories from my childhood…I create healthier versions everyone can enjoy!
Paleo Breading Options for Chinese Food:
- In this recipe, I have chosen to coat the chicken pieces in a simple breading of egg whites and cassava flour. It is simple, straightforward, and totally delicious.
- A mix of coconut and tapioca flours can also be used.
- If you do rice, rice flour or sweet rice flour are both options.
How to Get a Sweet Flavor for a Whole30 Sauce?
I have used multiple version for a slight sweetness. While honey or stevia work for a Paleo version, for those doing a Whole30, no sweeteners of any kind are allowed. My two favorites for this sauce are pineapple (puree or juice) and apples (sauce or juice). They lend a subtle sweetness to the end product that is equally addicting and totally delicious!!
- Serve this atop any favorite Asian slaw!
- Serve with some Whole30 Sriracha.
- Serve with your favorite cauli rice, or white rice as allowed
- Steamed broccoli
- Sauteed green beans
Paleo Sesame Chicken
- 1/3 cup cassava flour
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons whipped egg whites
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mirin omit for Whole30
- 1 tablespoon honey OR a few drops stevia OR for Whole30 use 2 tablespoons apple or pineapple puree or juice
In a small bowl, whisk together the coating ingredients and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until fluffy, set aside.
Mix together the sauce ingredients, set aside.
Preheat a heavy bottomed large skillet over medium heat ( I love cast iron for crisping foods!)
Prepare your assembly line: chicken, egg whites, coating.
Once your pan is preheated, add 2 tablespoons coconut oil, swirling to coat pan evenly.
Dip chicken in the egg whites, then the coating, placing coated pieces into the hot pan. Do not overcrowd the chicken or it will not crisp properly, work in batches if necessary.
Let the first side brown, then using tongs, flip the chicken pieces over to crisp the other side, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Once the chicken is crisped and cooked through, pour the sauce into the hot pan, stirring to release any bits. Let it simmer about a minute to reduce, then stir your chicken back into the sauce, coating evenly.