These Instant Pot chicken legs are the easiest thing you’ll make all week! Rub the legs in a blend of delicious spices then transfer to the Instant Pot. This healthy and protein-packed recipe comes together in under 15 minutes!
What Makes These Instant Pot Chicken Legs So Good
- They’re covered in simple, yet extremely flavorful spices. A blend of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and a pinch of black pepper give these chicken legs irresistible flavor.
- The Instant Pot does all the works! No need to worry about under or over cooking chicken. Simply place in the pot, set for 10 minutes, then return to perfectly cooked Instant Pot chicken legs every time.
- It’s the perfect recipe to throw together for a crowd! My six quart Instant Pot fits 12-15 chicken legs. This is the ideal recipe to cook a large batch of chicken for a large group of people. And because this recipe is so quick and easy, I can have a warm meal on the table in virtually no time.
Key Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Legs
Chicken Legs – Head to the grocery store or local butcher shop and pick up the meatiest chicken legs you can find. In this recipe we specifically use chicken drumsticks, which are often referred to as chicken legs. When placing the chicken legs in the pot, be sure to stand them upright on a trivet. The meaty part of the leg should be facing down. Cooking them this way will ensure that the thickest part of the chicken leg is cooked all the way through. You can also use frozen chicken legs in this recipe – follow instructions as normal, then increase the cook time to 12 minutes.
Chicken Broth – This recipe requires liquid at the bottom of the Instant Pot to create steam which then cooks the chicken. You have the option of using one cup of water here. However, I recommend chicken broth as it packs in so much more flavor.
- For extra crispy skin, broil your Instant Pot chicken legs for 3-4 minutes! However, keep an extremely close eye on the chicken as it can burn quickly under the broiler. I check on my chicken as often as every 30 seconds to ensure it is crisping up to my liking!
- Once done cooking in the Instant Pot, manually release the steam by turning the venting knob from the sealing to the venting position. Then wait for a few minutes until the floating valve has dropped and remove the lid. I highly recommend manually releasing the steam as apposed to slow releasing which could dry out your chicken.
- You can change up the seasonings in this Instant Pot chicken legs recipe however you’d like! A sprinkling of chili powder would offer a hint of delicious spice and/or a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice would taste bright and tangy.
Other Easy and Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Shrimp
- 20 Keto Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Dahl
- Instant Pot Asparagus
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Instant Pot Chicken Legs
- Instant Pot
- Baking sheet
- In a small bowl combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning over chicken legs and rub to evenly coat.
- Add chicken broth or water to the Instant Pot, hen place a trivet into the pot, place chicken legs on the trivet standing up with the meaty side down.
- Secure lid on Instant Pot and set for 10 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
- Remove chicken legs and transfer to a baking sheet, then add to the oven on high broil for 1-2 minutes per side or until skin is crispy.
- Paprika: You can use either regular paprika or smoked paprika in this recipe!
- Finish off these chicken legs with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!