This chickpea soup is super comforting and satisfying! It’s loaded with fresh herbs and veggies, perfectly seasoned, and finished off with hearty chickpeas. This chickpea soup comes together in just 15 minutes and is loaded with nutrients and delicious flavor!
What Makes This Chickpea Soup So Good
- It packs in veggies and is super healthy! I mean like, SUPER healthy. Carrots, celery, tomatoes, and parsley give this soup a nutritious boost and its irresistibly fresh flavor.
- It comes together in one pot and in under 15 minutes! Whip this simple chickpea soup together the next time you’re crazy something quick and healthy. I love meal prepping this soup at the start of my week and then enjoying it for lunch and/or dinner all week long!
- It’s naturally vegan, vegetarian, low-carb, and gluten-free! This chickpea soup is suitable for a whole variety of diets. And the best part is – it’s a total crowd-pleaser, meaning everyone loves this soup!
Key Ingredients for Chickpea Soup
Vegetable Broth – Much of the flavor in this soup comes from the four cups of broth. The vegetable broth makes a great base and amps up the taste of the other vegetables. For those reasons, I prefer the flavor of vegetable broth. Though if you’d like, you can use chicken broth instead.
Chickpeas – I prefer using canned chickpeas to make my life easier. However, you can use raw chickpeas and simply soak and cook them before adding them to this recipe. For canned chickpeas, be sure to drain the chickpeas from their liquid and give them a quick rinse under cold water. Once rinsed, they’re ready to add to this healthy and hearty chickpea soup!
- Don’t overthink this recipe, it truly is so simple! There’s nothing that needs to be cooked a certain way, so feel free to go off personal preference. However you work this chickpea soup, it will always taste delicious!
- Get creative and make this recipe your own. If you’d like to add more veggies, go for it! As far as seasonings go, wait until the end to make any adjustments. After the soup simmers for a few minutes, the flavors will fully develop and you’ll have a better idea of what, if anything, you want to change.
- Store leftover soup in an airtight container in either the fridge or freezer. Chickpea soup will stay good for up to 4 days in the fridge and 2 months in the freezer. To reheat, add to a large pot over medium-low heat and cook until warm throughout.
Other Simple and Delicious Soup Recipes
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
- Large pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth see Notes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat then add in the chopped onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme, and black pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Vegetable Broth: You can substitute the vegetable broth for chicken broth if you’d like.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!