This chickpea soup is super comforting and satisfying! It’s loaded with fresh herbs and veggies, perfectly seasoned, and finished off with hearty chickpeas. This chickpea soup comes together in just 15 minutes and is loaded with nutrients and delicious flavor!
What Makes This Soup So Good
- It packs in veggies and is super healthy! I mean like, SUPER healthy. Carrots, celery, tomatoes, and parsley give this soup a nutritious boost and its irresistibly fresh flavor.
- It comes together in one pot and in under 15 minutes! Whip this simple chickpea soup together the next time you’re crazy something quick and healthy. I love meal prepping this soup at the start of my week and then enjoying it for lunch and/or dinner all week long!
- It’s naturally vegan, vegetarian, low-carb, and gluten-free! This chickpea soup is suitable for a whole variety of diets. And the best part is – it’s a total crowd-pleaser, meaning everyone loves this soup!
Vegetable Broth – Much of the flavor in this soup comes from the four cups of broth. The vegetable broth makes a great base and amps up the taste of the other vegetables. For those reasons, I prefer the flavor of vegetable broth. Though if you’d like, you can use chicken broth instead.
Chickpeas – I prefer using canned chickpeas to make my life easier. However, you can use raw chickpeas and simply soak and cook them before adding them to this recipe. For canned chickpeas, be sure to drain the chickpeas from their liquid and give them a quick rinse under cold water. Once rinsed, they’re ready to add to this healthy and hearty chickpea soup!
- Don’t overthink this recipe, it truly is so simple! There’s nothing that needs to be cooked a certain way, so feel free to go off personal preference. However you work this chickpea soup, it will always taste delicious!
- Get creative and make this recipe your own. If you’d like to add more veggies, go for it! As far as seasonings go, wait until the end to make any adjustments. After the soup simmers for a few minutes, the flavors will fully develop and you’ll have a better idea of what, if anything, you want to change.
- Store leftover soup in an airtight container in either the fridge or freezer. Chickpea soup will stay good for up to 4 days in the fridge and 2 months in the freezer. To reheat, add to a large pot over medium-low heat and cook until warm throughout.
Other Simple and Delicious Soup Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth see Notes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Large pot
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat then add in the chopped onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme, and black pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Vegetable Broth: You can substitute the vegetable broth for chicken broth if you’d like.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.