This shredded beef is incredibly versatile and delicious! Tender, juicy, and flaky beef can be used in tacos, on a salad, or simply on its own. Prep this shredded beef recipe at the start of your week and enjoy it in a variety of ways all week long!
What Makes This Shredded Beef So Good
- It’s incredibly tender! Add your beef roast to a pot, cook it low and slow for 2-3 hours, and return to super flaky and flavorful beef.
- Simple flavors make this a multi-purpose shredded beef recipe. Keep it plain or add whatever spices you’d like! There is plenty of room for creativity in this recipe, so don’t be afraid to make it your own.
- It’s the perfect meal-prep addition. I love making this shredded beef at the start of my week, then enjoying it on salads all week long. It’s my favorite, easy grab-and-go protein to have in my fridge!
Key Ingredients For Shredded Beef
Boneless Beef Roast – Either chuck or round roasts will work in this recipe. A few things to keep in mind when picking out a beef cut for this recipe is that round roast is more lean than chuck roast. Therefore I prefer chuck roast for its extra marbling, making this shredded beef that much more flaky and tender. Though you can definitely use round roast and still achieve delicious results!
Beef Broth – Beef broth contributes to that delicious beef roast flavor. I was sure to keep the flavors simple in this recipe, allowing you to do whatever you’d like with this shredded beef once it’s done! Beef broth packs the best and most flavor for this recipe, though you can use water instead.
- Check on your beef after two hours of cooking by gently poking it with a fork. If it doesn’t easily flake, put the lid back on the pot, and continue cooking it for another hour. You’ll know your beef is ready when it pretty much falls apart with the touch of a fork!
- You can freeze this shredded beef for up to three months! Simply transfer to an airtight container or bag and pop in your freezer. When ready to eat, transfer the frozen beef to a pot over medium-low heat and cook until it’s warm.
- To make Mexican-inspired shredded beef, add two tablespoons of your favorite Mexican seasoning blend along with the salt and pepper. Rub the seasoning on all sides of the beef roast before cooking, and once done enjoy in tacos or burritos!
More Tasty Meal Prep Recipes
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Egg Roll in a Bowl Meal Prep
- Healthy Mexican Chicken Meal Prep
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
- Large pot with lid
- Add the beef roast, beef broth, onion, and garlic to a large pot and sprinkle beef evenly with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot with lid and cook for 2-3 hours.
- Remove beef and shred with 2 forks.
- Beef Broth: You can use water instead of beef broth, if you’d like.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Hi! I’m Sam, a travel, food and fitness enthusiast from the New York metro area. I love creating new and inventive recipes, and my favorite part is sharing them with others. My love of food goes all the way back to my early childhood, I grew up cooking alongside my mom and Nonna – the two best cooks I know! When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m either planning my next vacation, spending time outdoors (preferably on a beach), or bingeing Netflix’s latest docu-series. My passion for eating and living well led me to create the blog and Instagram account, Sam Does Her Best, where I health-ify my favorite comfort foods. I’m a big believer that good-for-you food can still be exploding with flavor and (most importantly) easy to make. I’m thrilled to be here at 40 Aprons doing what I do best – creating, photographing, and sharing delicious recipes with you all!