This shredded beef is incredibly versatile and delicious! Tender, juicy, and flaky beef can be used in tacos, on a salad, or simply on its own. Prep this shredded beef recipe at the start of your week and enjoy it in a variety of ways all week long!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s incredibly tender! Add your beef roast to a pot, cook it low and slow for 2-3 hours, and return to super flaky and flavorful beef.
- Simple flavors make this a multi-purpose shredded beef recipe. Keep it plain or add whatever spices you’d like! There is plenty of room for creativity in this recipe, so don’t be afraid to make it your own.
- It’s the perfect meal-prep addition. I love making this shredded beef at the start of my week, then enjoying it on salads all week long. It’s my favorite, easy grab-and-go protein to have in my fridge!
Boneless Beef Roast – Either chuck or round roasts will work in this recipe. A few things to keep in mind when picking out a beef cut for this recipe is that round roast is more lean than chuck roast. Therefore I prefer chuck roast for its extra marbling, making this shredded beef that much more flaky and tender. Though you can definitely use round roast and still achieve delicious results!
Beef Broth – Beef broth contributes to that delicious beef roast flavor. I was sure to keep the flavors simple in this recipe, allowing you to do whatever you’d like with this shredded beef once it’s done! Beef broth packs the best and most flavor for this recipe, though you can use water instead.
- Check on your beef after two hours of cooking by gently poking it with a fork. If it doesn’t easily flake, put the lid back on the pot, and continue cooking it for another hour. You’ll know your beef is ready when it pretty much falls apart with the touch of a fork!
- You can freeze this shredded beef for up to three months! Simply transfer to an airtight container or bag and pop in your freezer. When ready to eat, transfer the frozen beef to a pot over medium-low heat and cook until it’s warm.
- To make Mexican-inspired shredded beef, add two tablespoons of your favorite Mexican seasoning blend along with the salt and pepper. Rub the seasoning on all sides of the beef roast before cooking, and once done enjoy in tacos or burritos!
More Tasty Meal Prep Recipes
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Egg Roll in a Bowl Meal Prep
- Healthy Mexican Chicken Meal Prep
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Easy Beef Curry
- Large pot with lid
- Add the beef roast, beef broth, onion, and garlic to a large pot and sprinkle beef evenly with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot with lid and cook for 2-3 hours.
- Remove beef and shred with 2 forks.
- Beef Broth: You can use water instead of beef broth, if you’d like.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.