So, if you’ve ever been pregnant, or have ever known pretty much anyone who’s been pregnant, you know that pregnant ladies’ favorite pastime is comparing their growing little one to fruit and veggies.
Oh, bean is the size of a raspberry, how ka-yuuuuuuu-te!
Aw, my little man is the size of a pineapple, how adorable spiky (ouch..)!
Oh… my baby is the size of a prune? That’s.. an odd comparison..
An onion? Meh..
So, the Bump doesn’t always nail their weekly comparisons, but for the most part, they come up with simply sweet little produce babies that help you realize there’s a kicking pomegranate inside your belly punching you when you’re trying to go to sleep.
Starting almost immediately after we found out I was pregnant, I took photos of each sizable fruit, vegetable, or erm, seed for the early days, in my hands to gauge the growth, and at 16 weeks this week, I found myself with a ripe and rich avocado just hanging around the
studio our kitchen.
I typically feel a little guilty about this but each week I find myself craving a baby’s-size-in-food-based dishes, but this week it was a simple guacamole. And you never say no to guacamole because, well, why? But it had to be simple because.. chopping is too much work for lunch, people. Much too much work.
During pregnancy, you’re supposed to get a million grams of protein a day, so I decided to whip the avocado with Greek yogurt for a protein boost, blitzed garlic to give the avocado crema a rich base and a touch of lime to brighten things up. 3 minutes and a whirl in the food processor et wa-la! A tart, rich, bright dip that’s absolutely perfect for the spring and summer. Whether entertaining, dolloped onto fish tacos, or your main course at lunch–hunched over your coffee table with an open bag of tortilla chips and three episodes of Broad City queued on Hulu Plus. Or.. is that just.. me?
Make this! Also, there’s an avocado in my belly. Speaking of bellies.. bump pictures after the recipe! Because you love pictures of my abdomen.
Avocado Cream with Greek Yogurt
- 1 ripe avocado , seeded and flesh scooped out*
- 1 large garlic clove , peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt , preferably full-fat
- juice of one lime , to taste
- salt , to taste
- Place garlic clove in food processor and process alone briefly until roughly chopped. Add avocado and Greek yogurt and blitz until very smooth. Add lime juice and salt, a bit at a time, until desired taste is achieved. Serve immediately. If you need to refrigerate the dip and serve later, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the crema and make sure there's no surface exposed to air. Stir before serving.
*Make sure you scoop out the very dark green flesh that's closest to the skin. It's the most nutrient dense part of the avocado flesh and you don't want to miss out on it!