Cooking a steak in the air fryer causes something magical to happen: super juicy, perfectly medium-rare steak, in just 12 minutes! Air fryer steak might just be my new favorite way of cooking or eating red meat. It’s totally hands-off and fool proof, with a surprisingly beautiful crust. Served with an easy herb butter that’ll knock the socks off your lucky guests.
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. Should you click through to that product and make a purchase, 40 Aprons will receive a small compensation, at no additional cost to you. Anything mentioned here is referred solely based on my experience and satisfaction with the company and/or product, and not because of any potential commission. I’ll identify any affiliate links when they appear within the post!
It may be hard to believe, but the air fryer makes one of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten. So juicy, tender, and cooked to medium-rare perfection, I honestly was blown away by how good these steaks turned out. And the herb butter? Absolutely takes this recipe to the next level. This recipe is perfect for people on keto since it’s low carb (1g net carb per steak!) and high fat. This easy steak is simple enough to whip up for dinner when you just need to treat yourself, but will also blow away any guests you have over.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Steak – I used sirloin for this recipe, but you can use whatever cut is your favorite. Tender and flavorful on its own, it really own needs simple seasoning, but the herb butter completely elevates this recipe.
Butter – Rich, creamy butter melting over hot, gorgeous beef sounds just as ridiculously delicious as it is.
Garlic – A little garlic for your herb butter gives it an extra kick of flavor.
Parsley – With a slightly peppery taste, parsley brightens the butter and balances out the other savory flavors.
How To Make Steak in the Air Fryer with Easy Herb Butter
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Mix together everything for the butter and shape it into a log. Pop it in the fridge to chill. (See tops tips for more info.)
Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400º F.
Liberally salt both sides of the steak.
Add the steaks and cook for 7-9 minutes for the perfect medium rare.
Immediately remove from the air fryer and let rest for 5 minutes.
Top Tips For Making
- To make the garlic herb butter, mix together all the ingredients in a blender, food processor, or by hand. (If you’re using the former two, no need to mince your garlic ahead of time.) Make sure it’s smooth, and then spoon into a long rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Twist each end and chill until it’s firm.
- I definitely recommend preheating your air fryer! The steak will start cooking as soon as it hits the heat, which also helps the steak get a nice, golden crust.
- I highly recommend using a meat thermometer for this recipe to make sure your steak cooks perfectly. My steaks only took 7 minutes to cook! Obviously, thicker or larger steaks will take longer, which is where an internal thermometer with probe comes in handy. You’ll know exactly when it’s ready – which is 131º for medium rare. It will increase in temperature (to 135º while it rests).
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Sausage in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- 30 Keto Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Cauliflower with Lemon-Garlic Aioli
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Air Fryer Steak with Easy Herb Butter
- Air fryer
For the Steaks
- 2 medium steaks about 8 ounces each
- 2 teaspoon salt
For the Herb Butter
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- pepper lots, to taste
- Mix butter, garlic, salt, parsley, and pepper together for herb butter.
- Shape into a log. Chill in the fridge. (See notes.)
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400º F. Liberally salt both sides of the steak. Add the steaks and cook for 7-9 minutes for medium-rare.
- Immediately remove from air fryer. Rest 5 minutes.
- Garlic herb butter: Mix together all the ingredients in a blender, food processor, or by hand. (If you’re using the former two, no need to mince your garlic ahead of time.) Make sure it’s smooth, and then spoon into a long rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Twist each end and chill until it’s firm.
- Preheating: Highly recommended. Steak will cook as soon as it hits heat. This also helps create golden crust.
- Additional cooking notes: I highly recommend using a meat thermometer for this recipe to make sure your steak cooks perfectly. The internal temperature of your steaks should be 131º for medium rare. They will increase in temperature (to 135º while resting).
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out 40 Aprons Premium! 40 Aprons Premium offers exclusive recipes, monthly meal plans, grocery lists, and more – all completely ad free!
Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. She’s been a blogger for 10+ years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Cheryl is a mom of three who lives in Memphis, TN.