Learn how to make perfectly steamed broccoli in just 5 minutes! Fresh, crisp, and flawlessly tender every time. Add this perfectly steamed broccoli to your favorite meal for a nutritious, healthy boost!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s seriously so easy! A pan, steamer basket, and head of broccoli is all you’ll need. In four very simple steps you’ll have delicious broccoli ready to enjoy!
- It pairs perfectly with virtually any meal! Serve this steamed broccoli alongside your favorite roasted chicken, fish, or casserole. It’s a great way to squeeze in an extra serving of vegetables.
- It yields perfectly crisp and tender broccoli every time. Along with being easy, this recipe is totally foolproof. It’s super hands-off and easy to follow!
- Avoid overcooking! Overcooked broccoli loses its vibrant color and crunch. Keep a close eye on your broccoli, and if you’re at all concerned or unsure, it’s better to undercook than overcook.
- If you don’t plan on serving right away then cool it in an ice bath. The shock of an ice bath immediately after cooking will keep your broccoli looking and tasting fresher for longer.
- You only want a couple of inches of water in the saucepan fit with a steamer basket. Whatever you do, do not add so much water that the basket can touch the top of the water. There should be about 5-6 inches of space between the boiling water and bottom of your steamer basket.
More Healthy Sides You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Beets
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Roasted Air Fryer Carrots
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- desired seasonings salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, etc.
- Large saucepan
- Steamer basket
- Fill saucepan with 2-3 inches water and place steamer basket insert in saucepan. Note that waterline should not touch bottom of steamer basket – leave 5 or so inches between top of water and bottom of basket.
- Bring water to boil over high heat. Once water begins to boil rapidly, place chopped florets in basket and reduce heat to medium.
- Steam broccoli, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until florets are fork-tender. Transfer florets to serving bowl, season as desired, and serve warm.
- “Fork-tender” means the broccoli florets can easily be pierced with the tines of a fork. Be sure not to overcook the florets!
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.