This steak with Whole30 bearnaise sauce is the perfect Whole30 date night dinner: perfectly seared medium-rare steak topped with a super rich Whole30 bearnaise sauce infused with shallots and fresh tarragon. You’ll love how elegant this Whole30 steak with Whole30 bearnaise sauce tastes and how quick and easy it is! Total knockout.
What’s your go-to special occasion meal? I don’t even have to think about mine; it’s the same every single time.
Steak with bearnaise. Oh… and wine. Definitely the wine.
So when we began our last Whole30, we felt like starting with a bang. Why not celebrate, start off right? No sweet potatoes or avocados just yet; we’d get to those later. Nah, we’d treat this like a celebration on its own: we’re about to feel fan-freaking-tastic. I didn’t even have to think about what to serve to match the indulgence we felt the occasion deserved.
Steak with bearnaise. Oh… but no wine. That’s alright; we’ve got 48 cans of LaCroix in the fridge.
If I had to pick an herb to live with forever, it’d be cilantro, without a doubt. Just how controversial this herb is makes me a bit sad, since loving cilantro is a full-time gig over here. I accept it, though, and simply commit my appreciation for my cilantro-digging tastebuds in my gratitude journal regularly (Am I joking or nah? You decide).
Second to cilantro, though? Tarragon, no doubt. And for the cilantro-haters out there, don’t judge tarragon by association! There’s something so rich and heady about tarragon that makes it feel indulgent to me. It elevates every dish, infuses sauces with an elegant herbaceous quality I can’t get enough of. So infusing an über-rich hollandaise sauce with tarragon? I’m sold x 10000.
When paired with a perfectly cooked Whole30 steak or filet, bearnaise sauce provides a creaminess and richness that a leaner cut of meat craves. The infusion from the herbs and aromatics heightens the flavor profile of the steak itself, and I’ll order it any time I see it. I prefer to make it at home, though, because no one judges the massive amounts I pour onto my protein, no slightly raised eyebrows from the waiter when I ask for another little cup of the stuff.
Leave me and my bearnaise alone. We’re happy! Don’t judge us.
This Whole30 steak with bearnaise sauce is the perfect paleo or Whole30 Valentine’s dinner without a doubt. We take an affordable, leaner cut of meat, sear it beautifully, and slather it with a ghee-based Whole30 bearnaise sauce. And with a high-speed blender, the Whole30 bearnaise sauce comes together so quickly and easily!
This Whole30 steak with bearnaise sauce recipe makes a lot of bearnaise, and for good reason. Keep a bowl in the fridge for the next few days! Try it spooned onto fried eggs or drizzled over simple seared chicken breasts. This Whole30 bearnaise sauce will actually simplify your Whole30, leaving you needing fewer real Whole30 recipes and content, instead, to whip up easy proteins and top them with a dollop of the stuff. Pair it with a simple side dish and boom, done, dinner tastes like a million bucks, and you’ve got extra time in your evening to catch up on that show on Hulu you just started binging.
Try this Whole30 steak with bearnaise for Valentine’s Day or, hell, any special occasion coming up! No need to wait for a raise or that promotion: making it through a week of snow days without selling your kids is cause enough in my book.
To make this steak with Whole30 bearnaise sauce, I used…
For the Whole30 Bearnaise Sauce
For the Whole30 Bearnaise Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine white wine vinegar, chicken stock, minced shallots, and 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon. Boil the mixture on moderate heat until the liquid has reduced to 2 tablespoons. Let cool. Strain.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt your ghee then pour into a measuring cup with a spout. Pour egg yolks into blender and pulse until very smooth, then pour in the vinegar reduction and pulse again. Turn blender on low and, very slowly, drizzle in the melted ghee. Don't go too quickly, or you'll risk the mixture breaking! Once all ghee has been incorporated, add 4-5 tablespoons fresh tarragon and salt, then pulse until combined.
For the Steak
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Salt & pepper the steak very liberally with salt on both sides. Add 1 tablespoon ghee to skillet, let melt, then add steak.
- Sear steak 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes on the other side. Cook 1 extra minute per side for a more medium steak.
- Remove steak from pan and let rest 5 minutes. Slice steak against the grain and serve with plenty of Whole30 bearnaise sauce.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.