These roasted radishes are next level! A delicious and easy low carb side dish, radishes are roasted until they’re tender but crispy on the outside, and they lose all that peppery “radish” taste. They’re tossed in an easy browned butter garlic sauce for heaps of flavor. Great for keto, paleo, or low carb, with Whole30 and vegan options.
Look at how browned and crispy and tender and ooh, the browned butter and ooh, the lemon zest and fresh thyme!
Roasted radishes, say what?!
The first time I heard about roasting radishes–yes, radishes–I was like, ha ha ha you’ve done lost your mind ha ha never.
And then I went keto. I didn’t do it for too long (I began fantasizing about all-you-can buffets of broccoli. Broccoli!), but I decided to serve up roasted radishes as a side dish for a chimichurri flank steak I made for company.
To my (and everyone else’s) surprise, they lost their peppery bite and became crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and perfectly soft. Truly, roasting radishes is pure magic.
Why These Roasted Radishes with Browned Butter Are So Good
- The radishes are roasted until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- They’re tossed in a garlicky browned butter sauce that really brings out the richness from the radishes. And hello, browned butter! Garlic! Dream team!
- This recipe is low carb and keto friendly, paleo, and with Whole30 and vegan options.
How to Make Roasted Radishes with Brown Butter
Roasting radishes is really very simple and so much like roasting potatoes.
Start by preheating your oven to 450º F.
Prepare your radishes by slicing off the stems and any tail on the root (The skinny part off of the actual radish). Half most radishes; quarter larger radishes.
Toss the prepped radishes with 1 tablespoon oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Roast 20-30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes, until browned in spots and a bit wrinkled but not burned.
Meanwhile, brown 2 tablespoons of butter: in a small light-colored saucepan or skillet over medium heat, melt your butter and continue cooking, reducing heat slightly if necessary to prevent burning, until the butter begins to smell nutty and look toasty brown. The butter will foam as it melts but by the time it’s “browned,” that will have died down.
Immediately remove from the heat – watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn, just brown. Let sit about 2 minutes off the heat then stir in your minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Stir the garlic so it cooks and softens a bit but does not burn.
When the radishes are finished roasting, remove from the heat and pour the garlic browned butter over. Toss and sprinkle lemon zest and thyme sprigs over, if desired. Serve immediately.
Variations & Tips
- Make sure you cut your radishes into as even of pieces as possible. Half most if they’re small or medium sized, and quarter larger radishes.
- Cut off the greens ends and any long tails on the radishes.
- Watch your browned butter carefully in a light-colored saucepan or skillet. It should not take more than about 3-5 minutes with a small amount of butter. It can quickly go from “browned” to “burned,” so keep an eye on it! Once the butter starts to smell really, really rich and nutty, you’re done!
- Give your browned butter a bit of time to cool slightly before adding in the garlic. 2-3 minutes should be plenty; you want it still warm enough to cook the garlic.
Make It Whole30 / Vegan
If you’re on a Whole30, use my brown butter ghee recipe or use packaged brown butter ghee. You’ll be fine skipping the brown butter element and just using regular ghee, too, but it’s SO good. Use 2 tablespoons ghee in place of butter, whichever kind you use.
If you’re vegan, swap the regular butter for a high quality vegan butter, like Miyoko’s. It should work just the same.
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- Perfect Deviled Eggs with Bacon (Keto)
- Flourless Keto Chocolate Torte Dessert
- Lemon Garlic Salmo (Keto)
- Steak Taco Bowls (Whole30)
And if you’re counting grams of net carbs, make sure you bookmark our Net Carb Calculator to easily calculate carbs for a keto or low carb diet.
Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!
Roasted Radishes with Browned Butter (Keto, Low Carb)
- 2 bunches radishes about 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil like avocado oil
- 1 tbsp salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter see Note
- 1 clove garlic pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- 1 piece fresh thyme sprigs optional
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Prepare radishes: slice off the stems and any tail on the root (The part trailing off the radish itself). Halve small and medium radishes; quarter larger radishes.
- Spread radishes on a baking sheet and toss with oil and lots of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Roast 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until browned in spots and a bit wrinkled but not burned.
- While radishes roast, brown your butter. Heat butter in small light-colored saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Watch butter carefully over 3-5 minutes until it becomes a deep, toasty brown and smells nutty. Remove from heat immediately when it turns this color or begins to smell nutty.
- Let browned butter rest 2-3 minutes then stir in garlic and a pinch of salt, stirring well until garlic is slightly cooked and softened and fragrant.
- When the radishes are finished roasting, remove from oven and pour browned butter sauce over. Toss; sprinkle with lemon zest and thyme sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.