Cheesy, simple, and delicious salsa chicken! The perfect weeknight meal, easy to whip together in a few steps, and ready in just 30 minutes. Serve this extra cheesy salsa chicken over rice, roasted veggies, or a salad!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s super easy to make! Simply coat the chicken in spices, then place in a baking dish with salsa. Cover in plenty of shredded cheese then bake until cooked through and bubbly!
- It’s naturally low-carb and keto friendly! This meal is high in both protein and fat, meaning it’ll fit seamlessly into your low-carb diet. Enjoy this salsa chicken over a salad or your favorite veggies for a healthy, yet satisfying lunch or dinner.
- It’s a total family favorite! Kids, friends, family – everyone will love this cheesy chicken recipe. It’s also so good, no one will ever guess how easy it was to make.
Chicken Breasts – Four boneless and skinless chicken breasts will make four equal servings. However, you can easily double this amount for an even larger meal. To prepare your chicken breasts for this dish, start by patting them dry with a paper towel. Then, once your spice mixture is ready, simply toss them in all that delicious seasoning until evenly coated.
Salsa – Any salsa will work in this super easy recipe! Red salsa, green salsa, jarred salsa, or fresh salsa will all taste incredible. You also have the option of choose a mild, medium, or spicy salsa – whichever you prefer.
Cheddar Cheese – Feel free to use any kind of cheese you’d like in this salsa chicken recipe. While cheddar tastes delicious, so does a Mexican blend and/or shredded pepper jack. For a low carb or keto meal, avoid pre-shredded cheese and shred a block of fresh cheese yourself for this dish. Pre-shredded cheese contain fillers which provide unnecessary additional carbs.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken breasts are cooked through. To do this, place the thermometer into the thickest part of the largest breast. Once the thermometer reads 165° Fahrenheit, then the chicken is fully cooked and ready to be removed from the oven.
- Serve this cheesy salsa chicken however you’d like! I enjoyed mine over a bed of Spanish rice, and with a side of spicy black beans. Though it’d taste great over virtually anything, it’s even excellent on its own.
- For an even easier dinner, buy a packet of taco seasoning or a jar of Mexican spice blend. Use this pre-mixed seasoning in place of all other seasonings in this recipe.
Other Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Boneless Chicken Wings
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Mexican Chicken Salad (Ensalada de Pollo)
- Marry Me Chicken
- Whole30 Everything Bagel Chicken and Scallion “Cream Cheese” Sauce
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Chicken Vesuvio
- Instant Pot Chicken Paprikash
- Chicken Roulade with Goat Cheese, Spinach, and Prosciutto
- Firebirds’ Chicken Pasta Copycat
- Zip-top bag
- Baking dish
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit and pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel.
- Add the salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano to a large zip-top bag. Shake bag to combine spices.
- Place chicken breasts into bag with seasoning and shake to coat chicken in spices.
- Pour half the salsa into the bottom of a baking dish, spread into an even layer. Place seasoning chicken breasts on top salsa in baking dish, then cover with remaining salsa.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top and cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, then remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Make it Keto: Use a salsa without added sugar and shred your own cheese to avoid the added filler starches!
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.