Baked Turkey Wings
These turkey wings are thoroughly seasoned, then baked until perfectly tender! In just a few simple steps you’ll have flavorful, fully cooked wings. Serve these delicious turkey wings alongside mashed potatoes and your favorite veggies for a fun holiday or weeknight meal!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They’re surprisingly hands-off and easy to make! Start by drying the wings, then coating them in oil and a delicious blend of spices. Last, bake them for 90 minutes or until cooked through and tender.
- They’re easier than cooking an entire turkey! Cooking for a smaller crowd this holiday season? Well, get your turkey fix in by simply preparing a batch of these wings instead.
- They’re intensely seasoned with a curated blend of dried herbs and spices! This recipe calls for plenty of paprika, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and onion powder. The addition of chicken or turkey broth yields even more flavor.
Turkey Wings – Arguably the best part of the turkey, they consist of juicy dark meat and are coated in a crispy skin. They’re a great alternative to roasting an entire turkey, and a whole lot cheaper too! Turkey wings are a great option for smaller families, or ones who simply prefer them over any other part of the bird (if this is you, I agree!).
Chicken or Turkey Broth – Once seasoned, broth is poured over the wings and into the baking dish. You’ll then cover the dish in foil before placing it in the oven. This allows the broth to to bubble and create flavorful steam which cooks the wings. The meat also absorbs much of this moisture, preventing them from drying out.
- Feel free to save the pan drippings to turn into a delicious and intensely flavorful gravy! The liquid at the bottom of the baking dish is packed with flavor, which I would hate to see go to waste. Therefore, either turn it into a gravy or use it to baste your wings!
- Pat the turkey skin dry before seasoning and roasting. Dried skin will bake up even crispier in the oven, so don’t skip this very important first step!
- Keep in mind that turkey wings come in a variety of sizes, and different sizes can take different times to cook. In order to ensure your wings are cooked through, simply insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the wing. Once the thermometer reads 180° Fahrenheit, then they’re ready to enjoy!
Sides to Serve with This Dish
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Great Grandma’s Sausage Stuffing
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Italian Green Beans
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
Baked Turkey Wings
- 3 pounds turkey wings
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other neutral oil, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon salt more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons paprika plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons dried basil plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon onion powder plus more as needed
- 2 cups chicken broth or turkey broth
- Paper towels
- 9×13 baking dish
- Small bowl
- mixing spoon
- Aluminum Foil
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Pat turkey wings completely dry with paper towels, then place wings in baking dish. Drizzle neutral oil over turkey wings, flipping wings as needed to oil all sides. Set baking dish aside.
- In small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, and onion powder, until spices are thoroughly incorporated. Sprinkle spice mixture over turkey wings, then lightly massage spice mixture into skin of wings. Flip wings and repeat until all sides have been seasoned, mixing up additional spices when necessary.
- Pour chicken broth into baking dish, being careful not to pour broth directly on top of wings, so as not to rinse off any spices. Cover baking dish securely with aluminum foil, then place dish in preheated oven. Bake turkey wings 1 ½ hours, then remove dish from oven.
- Remove foil and discard, then return dish to oven and bake wings uncovered 15 to 20 minutes. When wings are fully cooked and skins are crispy, remove baking dish from oven and serve wings with desired sides.
- This method will also work for turkey legs and chicken legs.
- For really crispy skin, when you take the baking dish out of the oven and remove the foil, transfer the turkey wings to a baking sheet fitted with a wire baking rack, then return the wings to the oven to bake uncovered 15-20 minutes. The heat in the oven will be able to circulate around the wings on the baking rack, giving them a crispier skin.
- Be sure to cook the wings to a food-safe temperature of 165° Fahrenheit. Use an internal meat thermometer to ensure the wings are fully cooked before serving.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Leave a Comment