This elegant and creamy chicken carbonara is so easy and delicious!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti
- 6 ounces bacon sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated, divided into 1 cup and 1/4 cup
- 6 large egg yolks
- black pepper
Boil the pasta until just barely al dente in heavily salted water. Scoop out 1 cup of pasta water before draining. Put to side.
Whisk together cheese and egg yolks in a bowl until thick. Season with black pepper. Stir.
Cook bacon over medium heat in a skillet until it is crispy but not burned.
Increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the skillet. Cook for about two minutes, stirring after the first minute. Add pasta and toss to make sure it coats well. Slowly add in 1/4 of the pasta water and whisk constantly.
Remove pan from heat. Add the egg and cheese mixture. Sprinkle with salt. Toss with tongs to create sauce. Sauce will be silky, golden, and thick. If thinner sauce is desired, add more of the pasta water and stir.
Serve immediately after cooking. Divide the pasta between four plates. Garnish with more pepper and the rest of the parmesan.
- Lower carbs: Use Palmini. Palmini comes already cooked, so you just need to heat it in the skillet.
- Saucier carbonara: Use just 12 ounces of pasta instead of 1 pound (16 ounces). You can also keep the 1 pound of pasta, and instead use 7 egg yolks and 1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese in the sauce, for a total of 1 1/2 cups.
Calories: 872kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 379mg | Sodium: 868mg | Potassium: 605mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 666IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 431mg | Iron: 3mg | Net Carbs: 83g