Sauteed broccoli is a quick and easy way to cook up a delicious veggie side dish that has tons of flavor! With olive oil, garlic, and optional lemon zest, you'll never eat steamed broccoli again.
- ¼ cup olive oil or other neutral oil
- 1 large head broccoli cut into bite-sized florets with large florets cut in half, approximately 3 ½-4 cups florets
- ½ teaspoon sea salt more or less to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons water plus more as needed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
In large skillet covered with fitted lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add broccoli florets and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to coat florets in oil and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
Add 2 tablespoons water and cover skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring every 1 to 2 minutes to prevent burning, until broccoli is tender-crisp and lightly charred, approximately 5 minutes total.
Uncover and cook another 2 minutes or until broccoli is lightly charred in places. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir constantly for approximately 30 seconds. Squeeze lemon juice over broccoli and add lemon zest, toss gently, and serve warm.
Recipe yields approximately 4 servings. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using ingredients listed. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by 4. Result will be the weight of one serving.
- Broccoli will shrink a little as you cook it. Take that into consideration when determining how much you'll need for your meal.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 494mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 955IU | Vitamin C: 137mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1mg | Net Carbs: 7g