Buffalo Chicken Tacos
Everything you love about buffalo wings in a party-perfect, hand-held form.
Servings 6 tacos
silicone or rubber spatula
microwave, skillet, or gas flame (to warm tortillas)
Paper towels (to warm tortillas in microwave)
Microwave-safe plate (to warm tortillas in microwave)
Tongs (to warm tortillas over gas flame)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- ½-¾ cup buffalo sauce plus more to serve
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas or 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- ranch dressing store-bought or homemade, approximately ½ cup
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley optional, for garnish
- celery thinly sliced, optional
Warm medium skillet on stovetop over medium heat. When skillet is hot, add neutral oil and swirl pan to coat evenly. Add chopped chicken to skillet and let cook, undisturbed, 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken begins to brown.
Stir or flip chicken, then cook, undisturbed, on other side another 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken begins to brown.
Pour in desired amount of buffalo sauce and stir well to incorporate. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 seconds or until sauce is bubbling and thickened. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
Warm tortillas in microwave, in separate skillet, or over open flame. See Notes for instructions.
Layer chopped romaine and buffalo chicken in one warmed tortilla. Drizzle extra buffalo sauce (optional) and ranch dressing over chicken, then top with blue cheese crumbles. Set aside and repeat until all tacos are assembled. Garnish tacos with fresh herbs and serve immediately with celery, if desired.
- This is a great way to use leftover chicken, but you can cook chicken specifically for this recipe, too. This is my favorite shredded chicken recipe and it would be perfect here!
- Make it Gluten Free: Use gluten-free tortillas and make sure your sauces don't contain any hidden gluten.
Warming the Tortillas
- Microwave: Cover microwave-safe plate with damp paper towel, then place one tortilla on top of paper towel. Repeat layers, alternating tortillas and paper towels, ending with damp paper towel on top. Place plate in microwave and microwave 30-60 seconds. Remove from microwave and carefully assemble tacos.
- Skillet: Heat medium or large skillet (cast iron preferred) over medium heat. When warm, add one tortilla to skillet and cook 15 seconds or until light brown spots appear on bottom side. Flip tortilla over and cook another 15 seconds, then transfer to plate and cover with damp paper towel or damp kitchen towel to retain heat. Repeat until all tortillas have been warmed, then assemble tacos.
- Gas Flame: Set stove burner to medium-low heat. Hold one edge of tortilla with tongs and carefully place tortilla directly on burner. Cook 15-30 seconds, then carefully flip tortilla and cook until tortilla begins to bubble on top. Carefully transfer tortilla to plate and cover with damp paper towel or damp kitchen towel to retain heat. Repeat until all tortillas have been warmed, then assemble tacos.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 453kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 1504mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2988IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 231mg | Iron: 3mg | Net Carbs: 25g