An at-home version of that irresistable takeout dish that combines tender chicken thighs and a sweet & salty sauce.
Servings 4 servings
For the Bourbon Chicken Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried ginger
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ⅓ packed cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar, or Brown Swerve
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon bourbon optional
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
For the Bourbon Chicken
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil or other neutral oil (canola, peanut, etc.)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
For the Cornstarch Slurry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
In medium bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients until fully combined. Set aside.
In large skillet, add avocado oil and warm over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot and shimmering, add chicken thigh pieces to skillet and cook until lightly browned, approximately 2 minutes or so.
Pour sauce mixture into skillet and gently stir to incorporate. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
While chicken and sauce simmer, mix together cornstarch slurry in small bowl until fully combined.
After chicken and sauce have simmered 10 minutes, pour cornstarch slurry into skillet and stir gently to incorporate. Simmer 5 more minutes or until sauce has thickened. Divide chicken and sauce evenly between serving bowls and serve hot warm hot rice or cauliflower rice.
- Make it Keto: Use Brown Swerve instead of brown sugar and serve with cauliflower rice. Make sure your apple juice doesn't have any added sugar or sugar substitutes, or skip it completely. Use a keto-friendly ketchup.
- Make it Paleo: Skip the bourbon, use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar, sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce, and serve with cauliflower rice. Make sure your apple juice doesn't have any added sugar or sugar substitutes, or skip it completely. Use a paleo-friendly ketchup.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 215mg | Sodium: 1364mg | Potassium: 680mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 3mg | Net Carbs: 25g