Kung Pao Tofu
Crispy pan-fried tofu in a rich kung pao sauce with stir-fried vegetables create a delicious all-in-one vegan meal with tons of flavor.
Servings 4 servings
plate or bowl
For the Tofu
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu pressed well and cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅓ teaspoon salt or one heaping ¼ teaspoon
- 3 tablespoon neutral oil for cooking
For the Sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons sriracha to taste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
For the Stir-Fry Vegetables
- 3 red chilis sliced, see Notes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1-inch long piece ginger grated
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small white onion chopped
- sliced green onions
- chopped cilantro
Place cubed tofu in large bowl. Add cornstarch and salt, then toss to coat well. Set aside.
Heat neutral oil in large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot and shimmering, add tofu cubes. Cook, flipping and stirring periodically, until crisp and browned on all sides.
While tofu cooks, add all sauce ingredients to medium bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
Transfer cooked tofu to plate or bowl and set aside. Add red chilis, garlic, and ginger to now-empty skillet and sauté until just fragrant.
Add bell peppers and onion to skillet. Sauté until vegetables are softened, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
Return tofu to skillet and pour in prepared sauce. Stir well to coat, then let simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serve immediately with desired garnishes and sides.
- Red Chilies: For a milder dish, don't slice the red chilies! Just cook them as-is. You can remove them before eating for the least amount of heat.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1379mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 972IU | Vitamin C: 90mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 2mg | Net Carbs: 26g