Chicken Vegetable Soup with Turmeric
This chicken vegetable soup is simply delicious! With a light lemony flavor, the perfect blend of veggies like corn, spinach, and zucchini, and tender chicken, this soup is quick and easy to make, and is filling and satisfying without being heavy. Perfect for spring or fall, this recipe keeps and freezes well, making it great for meal prep, too.
Large wooden spoon
For the Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped, approximately 1 cup
- 2 large carrots chopped, approximately 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock store-bought or make your own, or use bone broth
- 2 cups whole kernel corn frozen
- 2 cups cut green beans frozen
- 1 medium zucchini chopped, approximately 1 cup
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric optional but encouraged
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus more as desired
- zest of 1 lemon optional
- additional lemon zest
- lemon rounds
- grated parmesan
Heat olive oil in 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot and shimmery, add onion and carrots. Sauté until onion is softened, approximately 7 minutes. Add garlic and thyme to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, approximately 30-60 seconds.
Stir in chicken stock, frozen corn, frozen green beans, zucchini, turmeric (if using), bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
Stir in cooked chicken and let mixture cook until heated through. Once chicken is hot, add spinach, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir and cook until spinach softens, then ladle soup into bowls and serve with lemon rounds and parmesan, if desired.
Recipe yields approximately 6 servings. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including optional garnishes. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by 6. Result will be the weight of one serving.
- Make it Vegetarian/Vegan: Use vegetable broth and substitute beans or tofu for the cooked chicken (or skip this ingredient entirely). Leave out the parmesan garnish.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1490mg | Potassium: 865mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 5767IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg | Net Carbs: 14g