Instant Pot Risotto
This rich and creamy risotto is made super quick and easy in the Instant Pot! No endless stirring, just restaurant-quality risotto. Loaded with fresh Parmesan cheese and a touch of white wine, this recipe is super versatile. It makes a delicious side dish or main dish with veggies or protein, like chicken or shrimp, stirred in.
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups uncooked arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine or water
- 1 pinch saffron
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt use more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper use more or less to taste
Set Instant Pot to Sauté and add 4 tablespoons butter. Stir occasionally. Once melted, add chopped onion. Sauté approximately 4 minutes or until translucent, then add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
Add rice to Instant Pot. Stir well to thoroughly incorporate rice, completely coating it in melted butter.
Pour in white wine (or water) and add 1 pinch saffron. Stir, then simmer mixture on Sauté setting for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and stir, scraping sides of pot to dislodge any grains of rice. Let simmer 1 minute.
After 1 minute, secure lid on Instant Pot with vent in Sealing position. Set to Manual High Pressure with 6-minute cook time. Once Instant Pot reaches pressure (approximately 10 to 15 minutes), 6-minute cook time will begin.
When 6-minute cook time is up, immediately and carefully Quick Release pressure and remove lid. Stir risotto until all liquid is absorbed. Mixture should be creamy and rich. Add in Parmesan cheese, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, salt to taste, and pepper to taste. Stir until cheese is completely melted, then serve risotto warm.
Recipe yields approximately 8 servings. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using ingredients listed. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by 8. Result will be the weight of one serving.
- For Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto: Prepare the Instant Pot risotto as written above. During cook time, prepare mushrooms. In large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms and 8 ounces sliced brown mushrooms in 2 tablespoons melted butter. Cook until soft, approximately 3 minutes, then remove mushrooms from heat and set aside. Stir sautéed mushrooms into risotto along with Parmesan cheese in step 5 above.
- Make it Vegetarian: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Make it Vegan: Use vegetable broth, vegan butter, and vegan Parmesan.
- Make it Dairy Free: Use dairy-free butter and dairy-free Parmesan.
- Make it Gluten Free: Be sure to use a gluten-free chicken broth and a gluten-free white wine. You can also use water instead of wine.
- Leftovers: Let risotto cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 1130mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 319IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 2mg | Net Carbs: 31g