Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
The air fryer makes the absolute BEST grilled cheese, and this recipe makes the gooiest, crispiest, cheesiest version out there. Super quick and easy, you'll never make grilled cheese in a skillet again.
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise divided
- 4 slices bread of choice
- salt to taste
- 4 slices American cheese
Spread one teaspoon mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread (4 total). Sprinkle very small pinch of salt on top of mayo on each slice.
Place 2 slices of bread mayo-side down. Layer 2 slices American cheese on top of each piece of bread. Top cheese with remaining bread, mayo-side up, creating 2 separate sandwiches, each with 2 slices of American cheese in middle. Mayonnaise-side of each slice of bread should face out.
Preheat air fryer to 360° Fahrenheit.
Remove basket from air fryer and place sandwiches in basket. Cook one sandwich at a time if basket is too small for both.Return basket to air fryer. Cook 4 minutes, then remove and flip sandwiches over. Return basket to air fryer. Cook additional 3 to 5 minutes until desired doneness is reached.
Remove from air fryer and enjoy!
Recipe yields 2 grilled cheese sandwiches. Nutritional values shown reflect the general information for one sandwich. Macros will vary depending on specific brands of ingredients used. If you're counting macros, be sure to calculate the information specific to the brands you're consuming.
I used a Chefman air fryer for this recipe!
- During the first 4 minutes in the air fryer (before you flip the sandwich), if the top piece of bread blows off, you can hold it all together using a toothpick, or set a very small bowl or utensil on top of the bread to weigh it down. You won't need to use the bowl/utensil after flipping the sandwich over, since everything should be melted enough to stay together by that point.
- If you're using an air fryer with shelves instead of one with a basket, there's no need to flip your sandwich over after the first 4 minutes.
- Make it Dairy Free: Use a vegan cheese. Look for one that melts well, because not all of them do.
- Make it Vegan: Use a vegan cheese (look for one that melts well) and vegan mayo.
- Make it Keto: Use a keto bread.
Serving Size: 1sandwich | Calories: 343kcal | Protein: 12g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 998mg | Potassium: 115mg | Total Carbs: 26g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Net Carbs: 25g | Vitamin A: 403IU | Calcium: 570mg | Iron: 2mg