This Szechuan chicken has the perfect amount of spice and flavor! Crispy pieces of chicken and spicy Szechuan peppercorns are cooked in a tangy sauce with just a touch of sweetness. This dish is well-rounded with chopped bell peppers and whole cashews for a slight crunch. It all comes together in less time than it'd take to have it delivered!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch see Notes for paleo
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 15 dried Szechuan chillies
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 3 scallions sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar see Notes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted cashews see Notes
Add chicken, cornstarch, and salt to bowl. Toss until chicken is evenly coated.
Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat. Carefully add in chicken in a single layer. You will probably have to work in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Continue until all chicken is cooked, then set aside on plate lined with paper towels.
Add Szechuan peppercorns, dried Szechuan chilies, and bell peppers to pan with oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables have slightly softened.
Add garlic, ginger, scallions, and cashews to pan. Cook for just 1 minute, then place the chicken back in pan with other vegetables.
Mix together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Transfer sauce mixture to pan, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot over cooked rice or cauliflower rice.
Recipe yields approximately 4 servings. Nutritional values shown reflect information for 1 serving of chicken and vegetables, not including the rice. Macros may vary slightly depending on the specific brands of ingredients used.
To determine the size of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed, then weigh the entire recipe when finished. Divide the total weight (not including the weight of the bowl, pot, or plate the food is in) by 4. Result will be the weight of one serving.
- Make it Paleo: Use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch and fry the chicken in avocado oil instead of vegetable oil. You can also swap out the soy sauce for coconut aminos and omit the brown sugar completely.
- Rice Vinegar: If you don't have rice vinegar, you can use white vinegar instead.
- Unsalted Cashews: You can use unsalted peanuts if you'd prefer, or leave out the nuts completely.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 416kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 1186mg | Potassium: 788mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2497IU | Vitamin C: 80mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 3mg | Net Carbs: 19g