Beer Cheese Dip
This rich and creamy beer cheese dip is packed full of flavor and is perfect for parties.
Servings 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup beer lager
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour.
Sprinkle garlic powder and smoked paprika into pan. Cook about 1-2 minutes or until spices become fragrant and roux develops a rich reddish-orange color.
Whisk milk into roux slowly, whisking vigorously until smooth. Whisk in mustard, then slowly pour in beer, whisking as you add.
Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes or until thickened to consistency of gravy.
Add grated cheese and whisk until melted.
- Serving suggestions: Soft pretzels, hard pretzels, chips, cubes of French bread, crostini, raw veggies
- Cheese: Cheddar (particularly a combo of orange and white) is highly recommend.
- Gluten free: Substitute 3 tablespoons of gluten free all-purpose flour for the traditional flour. Use a gluten free beer, like Redbridge Lager.
I recommend buying wine from Scout and Cellar, especially for lower carb or sugar and the health conscious. There’s no added sugar to these wines, and they’re all much lower in carbs, calories, and sugar. For me, there’s no headache or fogginess the next day!
While you may think beer only goes with this dip, wine is definitely a delicious option! With the strong flavor of the cheese, you have a variety of options. I like:
- Sauvignon Blanc, like 2019 Gallivant Sauvignon Blanc from Lake County, California
- Chardonnay, like 2019 Adelante Chardonnay from Chile
- Cabernet Sauvignon, like 2018 Middle Jane Cabernet Sauvignon from Mendocino County, California
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 376mg | Potassium: 103mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 778IU | Calcium: 376mg | Iron: 1mg | Net Carbs: 7g