Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
Loaded with New Orleans flavor, this super easy red beans and rice recipe is made in the Instant Pot.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound dry kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 6 cups cooked white rice from 2 cups dried
- green onions greens thinly sliced, for garnish
- salt to taste
- hot sauce to serve, optional
Heat oil in Instant Pot on Sauté mode at normal heat. Add sausage and sauté, stirring occasionally, until both sides are browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set the side.
To oil remaining in Instant Pot from first step, add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to that, saute until softened.
Add rest of ingredients except rice and garnishes, and secure the lid. Cook Manual High Pressure for 45 minutes. Let naturally release for 20 minutes.
Mash everything with a potato masher until at the desired texture. Add about 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt and stir. Beans should be soft and a little soupy. If you desire a thinner consistency, add an additional cup of water.
Serve with a large scoop of rice. Garnish with the green onions. Serve with hot sauce, like Tabasco, if desired.
- No dried kidney beans: Use dried small red beans and cook them for 50 minutes on manual high pressure instead.
- Soaked beans: Cut your cook time down from 45 minutes to 20, then check to make sure they are soft.
Calories: 681kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 923mg | Potassium: 888mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1075IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 5mg | Net Carbs: 65g