Healthy Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Artichokes (Whole30, Paleo)
A rich and creamy healthy Tuscan chicken with fresh spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. Whole30, paleo, and dairy free, the chicken is so tender, and the sauce is so full of flavor, making it a perfect quick and easy Italian weeknight dinner recipe.
Servings 4 people
- 4 chicken breasts uniformly sized
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp ghee butter, or avocado oil, see note
- 2 shallots minced, about 1/2 cup
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach packed
- 1 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts drained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes sliced
Cook your chicken: sprinkle both sides of chicken with plenty of salt. Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering. Carefully place chicken breasts in skillet and cook 5-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the breast, or until chicken is browned and firm. Transfer to a plate.
Clean out your pan if it has browned or burnt residue, then return to medium heat. Add butter, ghee, or avocado oil, and when hot, add shallot. Sauté shallot until soft, stirring occasionally, then add garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
Pour in your coconut cream; stir well. Add in your spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts; stir. Simmer until flavors are well combined and the sauce has slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Serve over roasted potatoes (see note), cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or pasta.
If you're on a Whole30 or are strictly paleo, use ghee here. If you're not on any particular diet or include grass-fed butter as part of your paleo diet, use butter. If you're totally dairy free, use avocado oil.
To make roasted potatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 425º F. Slice your small yellow or fingerling potatoes lengthwise and toss them with avocado oil until coated. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and place them cut side down.
- Roast until golden brown and crispy on the cut side, about 15-20 minutes. The potatoes should slide around the pan relatively easily when they're cooked crisp enough. Transfer to your serving bowls and place your chicken on top. Spoon plenty of sauce oven!
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 310mg | Potassium: 1441mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1595IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.6mg | Net Carbs: 9g