Every wondered how to make coconut butter? It’s beyond easy and very budget-friendly (unlike the storebought stuff)! Perfect for making my paleo coconut cream eggs or just spreading on toast, check out this article to find out how to make coconut butter with only 1 ingredient and 3 minutes. All you need is coconut and a Vitamix blender.
But, a year or two and dozens of homemade nut butters later, it occurred to me that I should, uh, Google how to make coconut butter. It couldn’t be that difficult, right? And it would be just freaking perfect for those vegan coconut cream eggs (spoiler alert: ‘freaking perfect’ is a massive understatement). Turns out? All you need is a ton of coconut and a blender. Coconut manna is a big ruse!
Here’s how to make coconut butter:
- Pour 4 cups of unsweetened coconut flakes into your Vitamix or Blendtec blender.
- Start blender.
- Use damper.
- Work up to high speed and blend for 1 minute.
- Let rest 1 minute.
- Blend on high for 1 more minute.
With a Vitamix and seriously just four cups of unsweetened coconut flakes, you’ve got this.
It’s easier than making your own nut butter and, holy moly, so good. I’m actually pretty impressed that I shot this recipe at all, considering how at-risk the props were for my consumption. I ate spoonfuls and spoonfuls on their own in the name of quality control, hoping that my teeth marks wouldn’t show in the photos. Yeah, we’re not delicate over here at the 40 Aprons headquarters.
That’s alright. Coconut butter brings out the beasts in all of us.
So the real question shouldn’t be, “How to make coconut butter?” but “How often can I make coconut butter?”
The answer? Oh, you know, daily is probably good.
4 cups of coconut will yield about 1 cup of coconut butter, so the resulting manna is so rich and creamy, dense yet somehow delicate. It doesn’t taste tropical but simply aromatic, and it’d be fantastic on sweet potato toast or toast-toast, depending on your relationship with gluten.
And seriously, those paleo coconut cream eggs are ? x ?. (That’s a lot.)
How to Make Coconut Butter at Home (Paleo, Vegan)
- 4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place coconut in blender and start processing. Use damper to press coconut down so blender blitzes all shreds. Once all coconut is a consistent powder-like texture, work speed up to high. After 1 minute on high, turn off. Let rest 1 minute. Turn blender back on high and blend 1 more minute. Turn off and scrape coconut butter out of blender. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature. Lasts at least a couple weeks.
You can use High-speed blender and damper , like a Vitamix.