When I wear a mask, I always find that the ribbon slides down to the nape of my neck if I tie it under my ponytail… or is obnoxiously high and distorted if I tie it above. Quel dilemma, right? For this year’s Catwoman costume, I needed a hairstyle for a mask. I was inspired by Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman getup in the ball scene, where she dances with Bruce Wayne, to work in a chestnut bun over the lace mask. Not only is a chestnut bun, well, what Anne wears, but it’s a great vintage look, classy and nearly mod, that hints at the excellent femme fatales of the 60s.
Here’s a detailed photo tutorial on how to get this look over the ties of the lace mask.
What You’ll Need:
Thick hair elastic
Clips or extra bobby pins for holding hair briefly
1. Pull your hair into a high, tight ponytail. Not too high, but secure it where you want the top of your chestnut bun to be.
2. Loosen the ponytail a bit by pulling it away from your head. Don’t loosen too much!
3. Separate the hair at your scalp right before the ponytail holder into two sections…
4. And pull the tail of the ponytail up and through the part. You want to go under and up, rather than over and down, like the 90s.
5. Pull to tighten.
6. Clip the tail of your flipped ponytail on the top of your head.
7. Tie on your mask, knotting right underneath the elastic ponytail holder.
8. Pin the sides of the ribbon down, close to the sides of the ponytail holder.
9. Take the end of your ponytail and wrap up and over your hand.
10. Holding the rolled end, continue rolling your ponytail under until you get to the base of your ponytail.
11. Pin the roll underneath the top layer of the roll, underneath and close to your scalp.
12. When the roll is secure, make sure the roll is evenly splayed out.
Add your cat ears…
And you’re ready to go!
The complete look!
Are you sad that the Halloween season is nearly over or excited that the big day is almost here? I’m a bit of both, but I always get ahead of myself. I’m already worried about Christmas posts I’m writing for you guys, so don’t consider me normal.